Friday, July 24, 2009

Out of gas


Pumped out
Williamsburg, KY, January 2009 [Please click to enlarge]
About this photo: This week's Thematic Photographic theme, elemental, invites a broad range of interpretation. If you're feeling elemental, head over here to share your own vision.
I had come to this mournful, forgotten place in the middle of a long journey because I didn't know if or when I'd ever be back. And if I ever did return, chances are this place, an abandoned gas station beside a cemetery, would be gone. Such is the ephemeral nature of life.

Your turn: There's something elementally sad about this scene that invites the mind to wander. Feel free to wander in a comment...

For another perspective from this shoot, please click here.

7 comments:

invisible said...

Late at night, when the moon is full and the wolves howl, the Zombies rise from their graves.
The sign on the gas pump changes to Undeaded.

dennisthemennis.co.uk said...

I guess when your out of fuel your out and that's it, there's no point in filling up, it's a rest stop that means rest.

there's something extremely spiritual about a cemetery that sort of scares me but gives me peace. what an amazing photo!!

Judy Haley (CoffeeJitters.Net) said...

or the long, slow process of making gass

this photo took my breath away.

Jientje said...

You could have participated in my idioms photo challenge with this one! Hilarious!

Mojo said...

I was just thinking this was sort of allegorical where our dependence on fossil fuels is concerned. Or maybe that's the wrong word, but there's certainly a parallel between the finite nature of both life and the supply of petroleum.

Actually, I had a much harder to contain form of energy for today's offering. If we could harness it, it could... well, it doesn't matter what it could do. This kind of energy can't be harnessed.
Thematic Photographic 59: "Elemental" v.4.0 - "A Lot of Static"

Max Sartin said...

Love that picture, the contrast (and similarities) of the obviously abandoned gas pump with the out of focus graves in the background. Looks like it could be the opening scene of a Stephen King novel.

Unknown said...

I saw that view often when I lived in Williamsburg. I grew up there and I never saw that point of view. Seeing the cemetary by the gas station never inspired me until now. This is an amazing photo!