Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Thematic Photographic 60 - Laundry


Round and round
London, ON, July 2009 [Click to enlarge]


You find the most extraordinary things in the most ordinary of places. I wrote about the laundromat here, and in the weeks since we welcomed our bright red washer and dryer set into our home, I've thought about this unassuming fluorescent-lit place in an unassuming strip mall near a busy midtown intersection. Like so many of life's experiences, this one changed me just a little.

I understand how you might conclude that I've lost it. Wouldn't be the first time, I wager, and likely won't be the last, either. That's all part of the fun, as life wouldn't be quite as enjoyable a trip if we always looked at it from the same perspective.

So I'd like to turn our lenses on laundry for the next week. It's the kind of thing we do often but rarely think about - and certainly never photograph. It doesn't garner headlines, merit celebrations or otherwise draw attention to itself. It lives in the fringes of our homes, in basements, mudrooms, closets or, in many cases, down the hall or street.

But without it, the things we take for granted simply don't happen.

Your turn: Have fun exploring this week's theme. At its simplest, take a laundry-themed picture, post it to your blog, then paste a link - or a mention - in a comment here. Sharing and hilarity shall ensue. Here's more info on how Thematic Photographic works:
  • Every Wednesday evening, at precisely 7 o'clock Eastern, I post a new Thematic Photographic entry.
  • Each entry has a unique theme. This week's is...laundry!
  • You post a similarly themed image over on your blog.
  • You paste a link to your entry in a comment here.
  • If you've already posted something that fits (on a blog, Facebook, MySpace, wherever) simply post the link to the existing entry. Old or new, all photos are welcome.
  • You may post as many photos or links as you wish. For the next week, I'll be supporting this theme with a related picture/posting each day. I encourage you to do the same. This is all about sharing, so feel free to share to your heart's content!
  • Please share this link with friends, too, and encourage them to join in. The more, the merrier.
  • And please accept my thanks for your enthusiasm. Your participation has made TP a true highlight for me each and every week.

24 comments:

invisible said...

When I first came to your planet,I did not know how to clean my skin suit, so I went to the laundromat.
I removed my skin and put it in the washer.There was a lot of screaming. Apparently you humans do not do this.
I don't go to the laundromat anymore.
Saving a lot on quarters though.

Mojo said...

I have to confess... I was somewhat flummoxed when I saw the new theme. And it sort of put me on the spot, because usually I can get an opening gambit out of the archives.

Not a lot of laundry related material in my archives. I know, amazing yeah? So this one had to be whipped from the hip. But this weekend, I will be helping my son move into the apartment he and his buddies have rented for the next semester -- and probably beyond. Can you imagine a more target rich environment for laundry related disasters... er... photo opportunities than a university campus?

But in the meanwhile, I'll have to get by on this kind of thing.

Thematic Photographic 60: "Laundry" v.1.0 - "Spin Cycle"

Glennis said...

Hah! What a great photo! I love the movement in it.

I honestly have never taken a photo of laundry...well, except once. I'll link to an old blog post:

http://doves2day.blogspot.com/2008/12/flag-day.html

I'll have to think about laundry now.

Anonymous said...

This is a great picture. Mine is up HERE. Carmi I know you are busy, so no worries if you can't make it over. Aloha :)

Vita Stunder said...

Amazing shot Carmi!

My first version is up! :)
Anna

Catherine said...

That's a great shot, the movement is very compelling. In Singapore they have quite a different approach to doing the laundry. See my photo of laundry Singapore style here

Anonymous said...

Very good shot! I just found this photochallenge so I´m in!

Jientje said...

I love your picture Carmi, and I'm participating for the second time. It's here

An Unconventional Mummy said...

WOW.... Great shot !

Ulrica said...

I'm in for the first time. Because this is the best time of the year (we are talking about Sweden) and I can dry my laundry outside :)

Karolina said...

Hi! Really nice picture! I found your site through Ulrica. My picture is here: http://photosbykarolina.blogg.se/2009/july/thematic-photographic.html

dennisthemennis.co.uk said...

What a strange theme! I wont resort to taking pictures of the neighbours laundry in fear of arrest!

Have a great week people.

Here is My Laundry

Gyrobo said...

Ever since I saw that episode of Beavis & Butt-Head where they put a poodle in a washing machine, I've always checked for dogs before loading my clothes.

I'm such a humanitarian.

anemonen said...

Really a nice photo. I found your site throught Ulrica and in two weeks I will enjoy this.

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

This reminds me of a story in the local newspaper the other day - a kid climbed into a tumble dryer and got shut in there! Thankfully, nobody turned it on!

Light and Voices said...

Oh my goodness! I am in awe of how the colors are swirling in that photograph you posted. ta ta for now.
Joyce

amanda said...

Wow this has a kind of modern pastel artsy look to it Carmi very interesting.
mine is here
http://www.moorebloglife.com/2009/07/30/thematic-photo-laundry/

Mel Fraase said...

I really like that shot, so much movement!!

"Klaatu" made me giggle :)

It's funny, I have laundry on my mind this week, too. Well, I always do as it pile up, but this time I took some pictures!!

http://fraasefamily.blogspot.com/2009/07/even-princess-needs-to-do-laundry.html

dennisthemennis.co.uk said...

Here is my V2 just for a laugh!

Money Laundering?

colleen said...

The spiral of life is everywhere, on the top of our head, our fingerprints, the nautilus shell, and now in the laundry room.

I love this shot.

hapzydeco said...

At a recent graduation party that we attended, this clothesline was used to chronicle the graduate's academic life.

Peg Cherre said...

I exclusively hang my clothes outdoors during the summer months, so couldn't wait to shoot for this week's challenge. I hope you like it, even though it's a bit later than I would have liked. (I had to wait for the weather to cooperate.)

http://secondwindjewelry.com/jewelry-weaving-blog/2009/08/laundry

I'm also going to have another, completely different, in the next day or two, but couldn't wait to post this one.

PastormacsAnn said...

What a terrific photo, Carmi! Fun topic. I enjoy a trip to the laundromat. I love to people-watch while they go about doing something so universal. And I find watching the clothes trumble in the machines side-by-side somehow magical.

Here is my choice for laundry.

Vita Stunder said...

My second post for laundry is up! :)

Anna