Saturday, July 04, 2009

Vapor trails


Hornet, abstracted
St. Thomas, ON, June 2009

Every once in a while, you luck into a shot that's different than anything you thought you were going to bring home when you first set out that day. This one shouldn't be that shot. It's a heavy crop, shot almost into the sun. The surface details are pretty much lost to pixellation.

Which is why it's burrowed its way into my head since I first started reviewing the days results. It's as close to impressionism as I'm ever going to get with a camera, and I hope you enjoy this one as much as I am.

Your turn: A shot that came out of the blue. Please discuss.

One more thing: If you're wondering what the deal is with all the planes this week, click here. Thematic Photographic shall explain all.

7 comments:

Mojo said...

Some of the best -- or at least most unique -- shots I've ever gotten I got by accident. I've created weirdly surrealistic effects by forgetting that my camera was set up to shoot inside a hockey rink and taking a few shots outside in the blazing sun during intermission. In fact, I think one such shot made an appearance in TP at some point. I know one from the same day turned up in another meme when the theme was "Experimental".

Frankly I'm totally digging this shot of the Hornet. Impressionistic or not, catching the contrails rolling off the fuselage in waves like that is completely awesome.

In fact, lucky, providential, fortuitous or serendipitous, I much prefer this shot to the one I dug up for v.4.0

Thematic Photographic 56: "Aviation" v.4.0

Robin said...

I really like this shot Carmi. The contrails add a real feeling of speed and power and make the plane seem to stream right out of the blue towards the viewer.

I posted my own (non-aviation-themed) surprise "holy cow I can't believe I got this" shot for this week's Wordless Wednesday. Sheer luck, but it's one of my alltime favorite.

awareness said...

Carmi, I love the softness of this photo. Intended or not, you've taken all the sharp metal edges and the manmade-ness of machinery away from the plane.

My first blink at the photo and I thought you had taken a picture of a painting. :)

well done!

Jean-Luc Picard said...

A really classy picture, Carmi. So much to talk about in it.

NetChick sent me here.

rashbre said...

Nice shot, with the jetplane trails. More so that you have it as a "grab-shot".

The apparitional nature of the shot adds to its interest.

I don't know about you, but sometimes when 'camera -enabled', if I see something very interesting but unexpected, its still a challenge to find a setting quickly enough to make the picture.

Anonymous said...

I love those vapor trails that the planes leave. They are awesome always :)

Pesach said...

Great shot! They were over my house as well - coming from the London airport.