Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Thematic Photographic 57 - Distant


Row, row, row your boat...
Laval, QC, August 2008

We all have distant pictures in our photo albums. Usually from vacation. Usually taken by our parents. Usually featuring one of them in the middle of a wide vista - a town square, perhaps, or maybe the beach. Said vista is usually so wide, in fact, that said parent is reduced to a tiny speck smack in the middle of the picture. Squint your eyes just so and you may be able to make out a limb or two, but otherwise that person could very well be a paper cutout and you'd never know the difference.

As you consider your options for contributing to this week's "distant" theme, you hopefully shouldn't have to go to that extreme. But I do hope you'll keep those horrific old pictures - now yellowing and fraying in dust-covered photo albums in some forgotten box in the attic - in mind, because that's what distant is all about.

I hope you'll share pictures with a bit of foreground, with a bit of distance, with a bit of big picture feel to them. Take off the blinders and look at the big world...or look at something from a couple of steps further back than you normally would. Either way, I want you to take this theme and make it your own, to have a little bit of fun with the camera as you try to put your own spin on this week's Thematic Photographic journey. I know you have it in you, and I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Your turn: In addition to your actual Thematic Photographic submission(s), I'd like to ask you for your thoughts on this theme. Too weird? Kinda fun? Sorta strange? Let me know what you think.

If you're new to Thematic Photographic, here's how it works:
  • Every Wednesday evening, at precisely 7 o'clock Eastern, I post a new Thematic Photographic entry.
  • Each entry has a unique theme. This week's is...distant!
  • You post a similarly themed image over on your blog.
  • You paste a link to your entry in a comment here.
  • If you've already posted something that fits (on a blog, Facebook, MySpace, wherever) simply post the link to the existing entry. Old or new, all photos are welcome.
  • You may post as many photos or links as you wish. For the next week, I'll be supporting this theme with a related picture/posting each day. I encourage you to do the same. This is all about sharing, so feel free to share to your heart's content!
  • Please share this link with friends, too, and encourage them to join in. The more, the merrier.
  • And please accept my thanks for your enthusiasm. Your participation has made TP a true highlight for me each and every week.

31 comments:

Mojo said...

My only problem with this theme was having too much material to choose from! I had the entire week figured out within an hour of the announcement, and didn't even break a sweat. And if I'd stretched the envelope to include the "fourth dimension" I could have probably found a month's worth.

So I stuck to "physical" distance -- at least initially. who knows? Perhaps I'll change some of them up before the week's out.

But for openers I went about as far as my lenses will reach.

Thematic Photographic 57: "Distant" v.1.0

Thematic Photograph 57: "Distant" said...

I immediately thought of this photo when I saw your topic. When I took it, I thought that the Heron was to far away, and that the photo wouldn't work well, but when I put it on my computer I think it turned out great.

I've learned to take the photo even when I'm unsure of the results.


http://gallow-photo-year.blogspot.com/2009/05/week-4-day-28-may-28-2009-blue-heron-in.html

I also enjoy Mojo's post, because I had just taken a photo of the moon this evening, and also posted it as my picture of the day.

http://gallow-photo-year.blogspot.com/2009/07/week-10-day-69-july-8-2009-just-moon.html

Barbara said...

It took all of 5 seconds to know which picture I wanted to post for this TP. It is probably similar to many others that will be posted, but the distant in this photo goes beyond the physical. Thanks, Carmi, for such a multi-dimensional theme.

hapzydeco said...

This afternoon while passing through Palmyra, New York, took this photo. Noting this week’s prompt, thought it might work.

Glennis said...

Hi, Carmi - well I will post some lovely, soothing distant photos, but as I was searching I found a creepy one! There are many perspectives of distance.....

http://doves2day.blogspot.com

Glennis said...

Okay, that one was so creepy I posted one scheduled to go live in the morning that's prettier.

www.doves2day.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Love your photo!

Mine's HERE

Robin said...

A beautiful shot Carmi, one that makes me long to grab a kayak and a paddle and hit that wonderfully smooth water.

Here's mine again, since I went up to bed last night before this post went live:

From A Distance, the World Looks Blue and Green

dennisthemennis.co.uk said...

Interesting theme.

Distant Gorilla

Have a great week everyone, looking forward to see what everyone comes up with.

Catherine said...

This may be different from what you had in mind, but here is my take on Distant

bobbie said...

I love the theme. There are so many ways to look at it - up, out, over, along. Or perhaps just dreaming of distant things.

My contribution is up now: bobbie-almostthere.blogspot.com

bobbie said...

Just realized that I actually used this same photo (I told you it was a favorite of mine) once before. Sorry about that. So I posted another for the "distant" theme as well.

bobbie-almostthere.blogspot.com

Maria's Space said...

I hope this photo would be considered distant. They were far away from me and my son caught some air.
http://reesspace.blogspot.com/2009/07/thematic-photographic-distant.html

Shey said...

Cool photo! Makes me want to go kayaking too. I miss that.

Just posted mine here.

Heather said...

Mine is up here .... I couldn't really think of anything since I like to take close photos :) I took this the other night and thought it fit the theme ...

Distant

Light and Voices said...

Kayaking...now that hobby brings a person to quiet, serene place. Neat photograph! Here is my submission for distant: http://lightandvoices.blogspot.com/2009/07/thematic-photographic-57-distant.html
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Great photo and a good challenge. Mine is up HERE

Carmi: Have you ever thought of using Mr. Linky? I think it would go a long way on this :)

Aloha

Joanie said...

I'd say a few thousand feet above earth qualifies as distant, right?

Up Above the World So High

awareness said...

Late but earnest!

I couldn't decide. I may have to post a few.... but here's my first one, and I'm hoping you like it.

Great theme.!!

http://mayfairplace.blogspot.com/2009/07/what-you-want-to-see.html

hahamommy said...

A word to play with! I'm back :D
http://hahamommy.blogspot.com/2009/07/overdue-perpetual-gratitude.html

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

distant?...well there is one

Beverly said...

I have posted a "distant" photo on my blog. The sun was setting in the west as I sat in backed up traffic on I-95 in Georgia.

Will someone tell me how to put a link in my comments please.

dennisthemennis.co.uk said...

Hi everyone I did a version 3.0

African Distance

Happy Weekend - dennis

Gilly said...

Hope I'm not too late for an entry! Its on my blogspot www.gilly-windsofchange.blogspot.com

I find the distance between now and my past quite disturbing, sometimes!

NJ said...

Here is my entry. http://onthepathofleastresistance.blogspot.com/2009/07/thematic-photographic-57-distance.html

Distant has special meaning for me this week in particular. Even though one's childrens grow up and are adults, well in their 20's you wish you could be closer to help them get through the trial and tribulations of life. It's bad enough that you can't do anything to solve their issues. Or you feel like their strength is being tested. But again there is nothing like a text message saying mom today has been much better!

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

thoughts on this theme?
really helpful, got me thinking on all levels!
pushing over into other areas now.
thanks

Love 2Bs said...

Finally found a few moments to post one for this week.

Please come by and check it out here

srp said...

Late as usual... but I really wanted to transport everyone not only distant in space but in time. How cryptic is that? LOL

From A Distance

Nikki Dee said...

Like others have said, it was hard to choose!

Hope you like the one I picked!

Distance

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Coming in a distant last, here is my submission.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

AND just realized that this particular post of yours is several years old. No matter. I played along anyway!