Thursday, December 03, 2009

Different point of view


Ready for my closeup
Toronto, ON, March 2009

About this photo: This week's Thematic Photographic theme is different. Please click here if you'd like to share your own slightly-off-the-beaten-path photo.
Different can often mean looking at the same thing through a different lens, or from a different perspective, or even through a different mood. As an example, I often like to look at well-known, iconic pieces of the landscape - the things that all tourists will shoot as soon as they get into town - in ways that wouldn't normally come to mind. The goal? Jar folks, gently, out of their comfort zone and show them that you really can have fun taking a slightly divergent path.

As an example, I present the photo above. It isn't anything special: fairly time-scarred reinforced concrete construction with a vertical sliver of glass windows thrown in for good measure. It could be be anyplace in any city.

But it isn't just any place. It's a rather unconventional peek at the CN Tower, which to most Canadians literally defines the skyline of our largest city, Toronto. This isn't a particularly great photo, but I keep coming back to it because I find myself wondering, "Is this really it?"

Indeed it is. Sometimes, seeing the picture isn't the goal. Using the picture to take an unplanned journey of the imagination, however, is.

Your turn: What are you going to look at differently next? Do tell!

7 comments:

invisible said...

Shouldn't that have been "unconventional peak" at the top of the c.N. tower?
Ps. You might like my post today Carmi. It may perturb as many as it amuses.

photowannabe said...

I just posted my "Different Perspective." Come onover a take a peak.

Cloudia said...

Love your "different" shots Carmi



Aloha,


Comfort Spiral

Christine Gram said...

I love this weeks theme! I'll have a thematic photo post up on Sunday (12/6).

Mojo said...

I wouldn't be so quick to say it's "not that great a photo". I rather like it. Even before I knew what it was. But my tastes tend to run to the industrial and gritty anyway, so that influence probably contributes.

Tonka's Auntie Daryl has a shot on her blog today of The Ball at #1 Times Square. It wasn't submitted to TP, but it could have been. Until I saw her photo I'd never considered what The Ball did with itself the other 364 days of the year. And it really -- literally and figuratively -- loses much of its "shine" when it's not all lit up and suspended in space.

For my entry today, though, I take a look at one of the ways our City Fathers (no mother would have come up with this) have attempted to put lipstick on a pig.
Thematic Photographic 78: "Different" v.2.0 - Blacklight Power

Gallow said...

Great shot.

Here is mine:

http://gallow-photo-year.blogspot.com/2009/08/week-17-day-115-august-24-2009-corn.html

dennisthemennis.co.uk said...

how is this fun