Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Thematic Photographic 80 - Abstract


Unreal windows
Toronto, ON, December 2009


I tend to view my camera as a bit of a crutch or safe haven, something to lean on or hide behind when things get a little too chaotic around me.

And so I find myself looking at abstract photos I've been taking over the last few months, wondering why I'm capturing so many more abstract scenes than I ever have. I haven't deliberately set out to reshape the world through optics. I guess it's my soul telling me it's okay to run wild every once in a while. Whatever. If seeking out the unreal helps me achieve peace in the midst of a world that seemingly offers none, then it serves its purpose.

With that in mind, I'd like to spend the next week exploring abstract-themed images, and I hope you'll join me. Here's some background.

Your turn: Simply share an abstract - it could be anything...go nuts - on your blog, then paste a link to it in a comment here. Photographic goodness will ensue. Enjoy...and thank you.

16 comments:

Mojo said...

Abstract, huh? Hmm... That could be interesting. I'll have to think on that.

Meanwhile I'm wrapping up my week spent elsewhere with this entry:
Thematic Photographic 79: "Elsewhere" v.7.0 - Back In Time For Sunset

Dianne - Bunny Trails said...

Excellent shot, Carmi. I love reflection shots - especially with interesting distortion.

This should be a very interesting theme.

Pamela said...

I will have to get into blogging "gear" --

been a busy month with the business of life wrapping it's tendrils around the fun things. Like taking photos.

Rinkly Rimes said...

I was reminded of this old one of mine.

http://rinklyrimes.blogspot.com/2009/08/guess-ghost.html

Light and Voices said...

I too look at the world for abstract scenes. Here is my submission: http://lightandvoices.blogspot.com/2009/12/thematic-photograph-80-abstract.html.

I enjoyed looking at the image you posted of the reflections in the tall buildings with the blue sky as background. Nice job, Carmi.
Joyce

Mojo said...

Turns out "abstract" wasn't as much of a challenge as I imagined it would be. Not once I considered all the "accidental abstracts" I've shot. like this one for example.

Glennis said...

This is a toughie!! I'm going to explore everyone else's.

Mine's up.

http://doves2day.blogspot.com

dennisthemennis.co.uk said...

Boy did I find it hard to come up with an abstract

frosted links

Mojo said...

So okay, this is abstract without being abstract
Like... it is, but it isn't. Ya know?

Mona Sweden said...

I love abstract scenes. I find such photos very interesting. You have to rack your brains and use your imagination.

Catherine said...

I'm not sure that a photo can be really abstract - but here is my sort-of-abstract contribution - certainly a photograph I took for the pattern in it.

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

generally love abstract
this is a favourite though, found in the loch just of Isle of Mull

Gilly said...

Love abstracts - had a hard job choosing! But I'm here

Glennis said...

I have another "abstract" photo up!

http://doves2day.blogspot.com

momemts in time said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
momemts in time said...

Here are two last minute posts... one new and the other taken on transparancy film on a medium format camera over 37 years ago during a train journey from Lausanne to Geneva and back again (at night) and a little edit in photoshop...