Thursday, December 31, 2009

Finding an alone moment


Bridge over troubled waters
London, ON, December 2009 [Click photo to enlarge]
About this photo: Our latest Thematic Photographic theme is 2009, The Year That Was. To join in, simply share your favorite photos from the past year. Click here to get started.
As the year I'd like to forget draws to a close, I've been trying to carve out little snippets of time for myself wherever I can find them. I don't necessarily want to shut anyone else out - indeed, keeping connected to the people who matter most has been a lifeline for me these last few months - but it feels good for my soul to simply take in the silence for a bit.

Photography gives me lots of opportunities to have reflective moments like this one. On my way to shul one morning, I stopped on the university campus and took in this scene from the bridge that crosses the Thames River. Nothing earth shattering in any of it, but it felt good to stand alone in a quiet place, and it feels good to remember this particular moment through a picture.

Your turn: Where do you go to be alone?

One more thing: I'm not one to celebrate the New Year to any great extent. Frankly, I wish we attached similar importance to the other 364 days of the year. But my curmudgeonly nature aside, please know I'm thinking of you all, and wishing you only goodness and peace, health and happiness as 2010 gets underway. You've enriched my year by sharing your experiences here, and I look forward to more sharing and learning in 2010. All the best, and thanks.

8 comments:

Dianne - Bunny Trails said...

Stunning shot, Carmi! I love the composition. Praying that 2010 is a better year for you and your family.

Happy New Year!

lissa said...

I remember the first New Year's Eve after my mom died...it was almost exactly 6 months later, and I also wanted to forget 2002, but it almost seemed as though that day in July was the beginning of a year, not part of one. However you look at it, find the peace where you can - the bridge is a beautiful place to be. For me, as you know, it's Centennial Park, at the lake. Still is, has been for 7+ years.

But peace is easily found with those you love and who love you, and I know that you are surrounded. They, and you, have the luck so many people never find in companionship and togetherness; but you are also surrounded by so many around the country and the world, connected by these wires and motherboards. That is something to revel in, think about, and cherish - which I know you do.

Much love to you and the family, and a wish for that peace to find you easily.

Love and hugs!

awareness said...

I go to the river too.... or along the shoreline of the Bay of Fundy if I'm lucky. I also have a room downstairs which is cozy and full of photos and artwork. Funny, the music that plays in there just happens to be some of my favourites. I wonder why? :)

Tranquility is such a fleetingly beautiful feeling. When it alights, be it while admiring the reflection of the trees on the water or when we immerse ourselves in a song that stirs our soul, I believe we are visited by God's serence grace. To have it happen during a period of deep mourning Carmi is a gift of feeling loved don't you think?

Happy New Year my friend.....to you and your beautiful family. May 2010 offer you many opportunities to experience tranquility.

torontopearl said...

My alone moments include singing at the top of my lungs in the bathroom, and walking the dog in our beautiful neighbourhood. I even consider my creative output, be it a blog post or writing a poem, as an alone moment.

I hope 2010 does not call for too many "alone moments" for you, Carmi. Let it be rich with family and friends and all they bring to your life.

Happy New Year.

Pamela said...

I can be alone in a crowd. Somewhere along the way I learned that I can shut people out. It isn't pretty. sigh.

So, take your alone moments, but leave the windows open.

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

finding time alone is necessary.
for me it’s either
in music via my ipod,
in nature
or bizarrely, in the city

Sue said...

I go to Stone Mountain Park. I can walk on the back trails, look at the creek or the lake or the trees or the mountain. It's very beautiful.
Or I go to the bookstore during Sunday School... Coffee and books!

Mojo said...

I've found that solitude doesn't require so much a place as a state of mind.

I suppose I find it when I need it where it is. Nice and vague huh?

Continuing my triple-scoop form for this theme today:
Thematic Photographic 82: "2009 - The Year that Was" v.2.0 - Prodigal Son Returns, Canes Make Playoffs, and Another Car Show