Monday, December 07, 2009

Witness over Times Square


Watching
New York, NY, November 2009
About this photo: Thematic Photographic continues to explore "different". We hope you'll explore it, too - just follow your mouse here and dive right in. There's captioning here, too.
You have to wonder what would be going through his mind if, well, he actually had a mind. I couldn't resist this somewhat different way of looking at a very familiar place. I know the light was lousy. But I wasn't about to stand in the same spot and wait for the sun to show itself between the tightly packed towers. This'll have to do.

Your turn: Let's put some words in this fellow's mouth, shall we?

4 comments:

yellojkt said...

It's Father Duffy!

Rinkly Rimes said...

Maybe he's a blogger looking for ideas!

Ileana said...

He's thinking, where art thou, Lady Liberty? :)

I love the title, the way the buildings line up, the light green and pink, the crowd...and of course, the curious witness. Beautiful photo!!

Mojo said...

How about: "Hey! I can see my house from here!"

Maybe he's up there looking for Daryl... her office is in that part of town, right across from #1 Times Square where "The" Ball lives.

I know all about the "okay, the light sucks but I'm gonna shoot it anyway" situation. Happens to me all the time. But in this case, I wouldn't say your shot suffered terribly for it. There's enough shadow thrown around by the buildings for contrast. A few of the highlights in the signs might've gotten a bit blown, but that might have actually been a good thing. Hard to say for sure, but if they hadn't, you might have lost the statue in the background. As it is, the really busy parts of the background are relegated to the bottom of the frame, which... was kinda the point as I see it.

No chance I'm gonna segue my two latest "Different" shots into this conversation, so I'll just say you can find them here:
Thematic Photographic 78: "Different" v.5.0 - Here's Your Sign

and here:
Thematic Photographic 78: "Different" v.6.0 - Well That Bites