Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Thematic Photographic 78 - Different

Close shave
New York, NY
November 2009
Welcome to our new Thematic Photographic theme, different. Please read on for more...
We've been here before. The front steps of the New York Public Library, which a few days ago on Written Inc. served up a dose of minimally-lycra-dressed, greasepainted uniqueness, now offer up something from the overdressed side of the house.

I'm not going to guess why a woman in a very realistic looking space suit was sharpening pencils on this lovely afternoon. I wanted to ask her, but learned long ago to keep to myself when walking through large cities far from home. Better to capture the scene with a long zoom and call it a day.

Your turn: Please post a picture of something different on your blog, then paste a link to it in a comment here. What's different? Anything that strikes you as out of the ordinary. Anything that gives you pause. Anything that makes you go, "Huh?" And if you've got a moment, I hope you'll be able to tell me how this particular person came to be at this particular place on this particular day, because I sure haven't been able to figure it out on my own.

13 comments:

invisible said...

With the wars underway, America has cut back its budget on non-military expenditures. Nasa programs not related to weapons of past destruction were phased out.
Becky Sue Farmington was in the final phases of astronaut training when word came down.
All she had left was her flight suit and a cup of number 2 pencils.

Being plucky and embued with can-do spirit, she moved to N.Y.. 'cause if she can make it there, she can make it anywhere.

Martha said...

Hi Carmi!
I haven't played in a long time but I'm back for this week's theme. I hope all has been well in your world :-)
http://meandering-martha.blogspot.com/2009/12/maybe-its-better-that-you-dont-ask.html

Pamela said...

turkey-lurkey

That's your link to my inspiration of what was really "different" on my street this week!

I haven't played for a long time, either. Seems life gets hectic this time of year.

Pamela said...

As for your photo -- I can't help but think of that ridiculous story about the astronaut who drove across country in an adult diaper - on her way to confront (or abduct) her competition for a man.

Cloudia said...

Actually, my Thursday post DOES show a rather unusual meteorological phenomena!

Do come visiting:

Aloha, Friend!


Comfort Spiral

Peg Cherre said...

Living out in the sticks as I do, my "different" is quite a bit different than yours, Carmi, but I think you'll enjoy it. Check it out here.

http://secondwindjewelry.com/jewelry-weaving-blog/2009/12/thats-different/

Enter my December contest while you're there. (Ok, I haven't posted December yet, it'll be up tomorrow.)

Mojo said...

I gotta say... that's about as different as I can ever recall seeing. I suppose Klaatu's explanation works as well as any I've heard. But really... I'm clueless. I'd love to hear the story behind this.

The story behind this isn't so tough to figure out, but I did a double take anyway.
Thematic Photographic 78: "Different" v.1.0 - A Disgruntled Elf?

dennisthemennis.co.uk said...

A different way of living

Sometimes I like different, sometimes I dont.

Mona Sweden said...

Maybe she's just afraid of the swine flu!

Well McDonalds are always trying to increase their profit and now they've found some new costumers.

christina said...

I present something different from Sweden Gothenburg! Have a nice week!

Catherine said...

A bit late this week, due to my summer gardening efforts keeping me away from the computer, but they have inspired my contribution here

Glennis said...

I have something Different up now!!

www.doves2day.blogspot.com

Glennis said...

One last entry in this theme - I had a hard time with this one. My brain kept seeing "different" as "difficult."

Here's mine:

www.doves2day.blogspot.com