Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Somewhere over the rainbow


Something Kermit might sing about
London, ON, September 2009
About this photo: We're exploring "elsewhere" all week long. If you have a similarly-themed moment that you'd like to share, please click here. New Thematic theme goes live tomorrow (Wednesday) at 7:00 p.m. EST. Feel free to suggest a theme, because my theme factory is down for maintenance.
It was a lazy Sunday afternoon in September, and I remember it because it was one of those days where we all got to enjoy a quiet day in the house. Face it: with three kids and a dog, how often does that happen?

I was lying in bed, reading, when I looked up at the ceiling and noticed this rather stunning reflection. I called my wife over, and we just stared at it as the colors became brighter and more saturated. I was, of course, compelled by the Laws of Photography to reach for the camera.

It was one of those once-in-a-blue-moon things, where the sun was in just the right spot at just the right moment. Perhaps next September 20th at 10:48 a.m., I should make sure I'm in that exact spot just in case our family rainbow decides to make an appearance. Because you need to capture these little moments when they happen. Because you never know what curves life may throw at you next.

Your turn: When something rare and special happens. Please discuss.

4 comments:

Mojo said...

I suppose "rare" and "special" aren't actually equivalent. Meaning not all special things are rare. And not all rare things are special. But when the two come together, I always get more out of it if the Canon is handy.

This shot isn't so rare really, although it's a bit different from what you'd normally expect. Carver made a good point in her comment on it.

Thematic Photographic 79: "Elsewhere" v.6.0 - Definitely Somewhere Else

My theme engine isn't firing on all cylinders just now (I just finished queuing up a month's worth of World in Black & White, so I'm a little one-tracked at the moment). But if I think of something, you'll be my first call.

Tabor said...

Nice catch. I probably would have just laid there and stared at it until I fell asleep.

I have followed your blog as closely as others so don't know all your recent themes. How about too much and too little...with the holidays here and all.

Tabor said...

I meant to write that I have NOT followed your blog as closely as others have...!

Pamela said...

ooohs and aaaahhs from the gallery. Wow.