Monday, October 25, 2010

Bakerv or Bakery?

I see weird things all the time, like this descender-less sign at the local grocery store. And unlike the automatons around me who were mindlessly tossing apple crumb pie they seriously didn't need into their overstuffed megacarts, I looked up and pondered its significance for a moment before I, too, joined them in a quiet, shared celebration of all things apple crumb.

I don't know why the folks who designed and built this sign couldn't figure out a way to turn the bakerv into a bakery. But a small voice in my head - what, you don't hear voices? - said a silent thank you for this unexpected little surprise. And a silent thank you to the Research In Motion engineers just up the road who so kindly baked a camera into my BlackBerry. And a silent thank you to my wife who, even though she walked away as I composed and shot, didn't outright ban me from having this tiny moment of photographic joy.

Life's short. We've got to find joy wherever we can. I'm surrounded by it wherever I go, and whomever I'm with.

Your turn: Where do YOU find joy?

About this photo: We're savouring this week. What the heck am I talking about? Click here and all things heck - and Thematic - shall be explained.

10 comments:

Everyday Goddess said...

seriouslv funnv.

and I love apple crumb pie too.

Anonymous said...

I would definitelv find jov in a sign like that one. ;)

But seriously? I find joy in the sunshine-filled smiles of babies and small children... and also beautiful autumn days.

bruce said...

i prefer cherry to apple any day but i get the point...interesting shot...and seriously funny spin..

we make our own joy...attitude out weighs aptitude...

artistic people look at the world a little differently than the non-artist...

but the sun rise/set on a glasslike lake...in my boat with my dog...doesnt get much better than that...

Yvonne said...

Nice! lol I find joy, or try to, in everything I do. However trite that may sound, it's true. For example, I am in heaven when I venture into a bookstore. Exciting, I know. Envy me.

Max Sartin said...

And the first thing that came to mind was "maybe there are 5 bakers in the department and it actually reads "Baker V"
Or not.

Anonymous said...

I so appreciate how you see and write about things. You're words and sights are a gift, thank you for sharing.

Somewhere round about said...

Carmi~ that is sweet
well caught!

Yesterday round here was sunny and slightly warm, a 'not needing a coat' day and I spent a good hour finding incredible joy watching the sunlight filtering through leaves. All those burst of light and oddly angled stalkshadows everywhere...

Tiel Aisha Ansari said...

The double-curved railing underneath looks like a railroad track... like one of those little elevated trains they have in some sushi places. Maybe "bakerv" means "sea urchin eggs" in some obscure Siberian dialect?

This morning I arrived at work just as the sky was starting to get light. Seagulls were already up and flying. For some reason that made me joyful.

21 Wits said...

only like EVERY...WHERE...!

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

verv, verv, cool! :)