Friday, October 08, 2010

Meteorological pea soup

A walk in the fog
London, ON
February 2009


I live in the London that gets no attention or respect, the so-called "Other London" that is always followed by an explanation. "The one in Canada," "No, not that British one," "The sleepy little burg two hours west of Toronto."

Often in conversation, folks will express surprise that I don't have a British accent, or that the phone connection sounds great for a transatlantic call. That's when I know it's time to fess up and admit that my life is a lot less glamorous than they had been led to believe.

No matter, though, as our quiet, mid-sized town has just enough of the real London in it. We have a Thames River, a street grid with names like Oxford, Adelaide, Dundas, Queens and King, and thanks to some really lousy geography, fog. Lots of it.

Fairly regularly, we wake up to a pea soup world that, just like a massive snowstorm, kids love and adults hate. I used to just grumble and hope it would burn off by the time school and work rolled around, but eventually I stopped whining about the minor inconveniences like incompetent drivers (hint: slow down, turn on your lights, put the cell phone down and pay attention to what's going on around you) and a dog who wouldn't leave the house because his neighborhood looked completely surreal (solution: I started carrying him to the corner.)

A foggy morning offers a brief opportunity to shoot the world as it's rarely seen, to experience a time when everything slows down and goes quiet. If it falls during the week, I don't have a lot of time to play with; usually just enough for a quick walkabout before I rejoin the fam for the daily morning crunch. But I'm learning that sometimes we need to take the time regardless. Because before long, the fog's gone and what made the moment special quickly fades into the past.

Something tells me I may have stumbled onto a metaphor for life.

Your turn: Taking the time, even if you don't really have the time to spare. Please discuss.

14 comments:

CorvusCorax12 said...

the photo exudes quiet....i love it. i have to much time on my hand, not always a good thing either.

Hilary said...

I love the fog. It's mysterious and magical. Nothing changes the landscape more quickly. Beautiful shot.

Juniper said...

Don't worry Carmi, that other London isn't really that glamorous; it's just full of people with no manners and their heads stuck where the sun don't shine. I avoid it unless absolutely necessary!

I'm sure yours is nicer ;-) I too like the peace of your photo.

Juniper said...

Oh, and on your subject, I take the time to read all the new blogs and talk with my lovely blog friends; although really I should be doing Something Useful and Profitable... Though come to think of it, that is making the assumption that reading blogs isn't useful and profitable!

Kay said...

We all have a "thing" (and if we don't we need to find one)... everyday so important to stop and feel, listen, be still...

otherwise, life will consume us.

your town sounds charming, if not ironic, my friend. :)

Heidi said...

Love this picture, so much. Beautiful.

Here, the fog is wispier. It drifts in ribbons, and the rising sun turns it pink. It's a little more whimsical than your fog, I think.

Jenn H. said...

amazing photo!

That Blond Guy said...

"A pea soup world."

I love that.

Shirley said...

Great shot! I love gazing out into the fog, especially if it is drifting in from the ocean or over a lake. There is something mystical about it.

Max Sartin said...

I love that picture! Partly because I love the fog (when I can just sit and enjoy it and don't have to go anywhere). Fog makes everything quiet and cozy. Just as long as it doesn't stick around too long. Years ago Salt Lake had an inversion that trapped the for (and smog) in the valley for almost 3 months. That was too long.

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

Our weather is pretty much like that today and has been for the past couple of days.

I was down in the original London (England) earlier in the week, no pea souper there though.

sage said...

I love walking in the fog! I can imagine how you have to explain "which London!"

Josephine B. said...

What a photograph - it's so beautiful Carmi.
I love the fog, the smells it holds onto, and that "non-sound" it makes...like the sound snow makes as it falls. Slowing down to take in a moment can be an amazing experience.

janie said...

very atmospheric, beautifully eerie.
I cant believe how little time I have now that I have a toddler toddling around.But tempting as it is to snooze when she snoozes I do try to take that time for a walk with her asleep in the buggy. Fresh air and exercise and time to think:)