Sunday, October 24, 2010

Savour the vino


Oenophile's delight
London, ON, October 2010
About this photo: It's Thematic Photographic's savour week, so we're asking folks (including you) to share similarly-themed photos. How do you get started? Just go here.
Despite the fact that my name literally means "my vineyard" (it's a long story; click here for more on the name thing) I don't have much knowledge of wines. Part of it is my natural ability to get seriously looped on a shockingly small amount of alcohol. So when I'm out and about, I just don't drink because I never want to be caught on the wrong end of the driving/blood alcohol level/cop's-flashlight-in-your-face curve. I've seen first-hand what happens when folks think "they're OK" to drive, and it's horrific.

So I don't drink much. Which usually means I'm the designated driver. Bummer, I know. On the upside, while everyone else is busy getting hammered - or, given our era of apparent restraint, pleasantly pickled - I can wander the room with my camera, confident that I won't accidentally drop the thing in the punch bowl as I stumble for anything resembling porcelain.

And sometimes, I happen upon a little micro-scene like this. Which on this evening, reminded me of moments savoured with family and friends. There's something about the shape of a wine glass that speaks of warmth and community.

Your turn: The appeal of a glass of wine. Please discuss.

12 comments:

Juniper said...

And while everyone else is making an idiot of themselves, you can catch it all on film ;-)

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Whoa, the appeal for me is endless...If its a red- i.e. pinot noir- I can taste the cherry in it.. Chardonnay- oak and crispy apply flavor...My hubby was a collector of Calif. wines and we had them all... really good ones... After he passed, I went thru his collection that he had in a wine cooler..(glorified fridge for wine)... and each bottle brought back memories... He had kept one for our 25th annivers.. it was to be open in 2001... that was when it would be just right for tasting...well, I had that bottle by myself, u could say I savored it because I had a few glasses each day till it was gone..Unfortunately, I threw the bottle away, I wished I had kept it..

Yvonne said...

I love wine! As a matter of fact, I had a lot of it last night. Like yourself, I too, am usually the designated driver. However, this was a rare occassion and I didn't have to drive, so I took advantage of that! lol But I've never been to the point that I don't know what I'm doing or stumbling over things. Thank Goodness!!! -Wine, favorite is red.

Max Sartin said...

Well, my last name is Italian for "red", so together our names make a red wine vineyard. We should go into business together :)

Alexia said...

Ah yes .. I've just been teaching 'Othello':
"good wine is a good familiar creature,
if it be well used"


For once, I agree with Iago :)

Mustang Sally said...

Wine holds no appeal at all for me (tho' I agree about the wineglasses) I just can't get past the aftertaste.

Now if you care to make it tequila ... the party's ON LOL and no, I am not bringing my camera.

I won't drink at all if I have to be driving, too much risk involved to go there. Makes me very careful of where and when I choose to imbibe.

Prettypics123 said...

Love that picture! Good drama in it. Wine. Love it but can't drink it. It's a depressant for me.

Cathy said...

"When Wine enters, out goes the Truth." -- Benjamin Franklin

bruce said...

this piture reminds me of christmas time...i tend bar for a couple of friends at their anual christmas party. and wine flows like the Niagra (sp) falls...

if i end up seeing the glasses from the angle of the picture, i am not able to tend bar any longer...

i like merlot, but if i am looking to drive the procelin bus, i go for whiskey...oh wait, the question was about wine...

i usually do not like the way wine hits me, so a glass is fine, but rarely more...unless someone gets me started on tequila...

Anonymous said...

Yep, designated driver here too. Like Juniper said 'though - you get to watch everyone else acting like they've just flown the cuckoo's nest. Can be boring when everyone gets to the 'giggling hysterically at everything' phase. The appeal of wine? Nothing like sinking into a glass (or a bottle if you're that way inclined) on a Friday night to reward yourself for surviving another week!

21 Wits said...

Will the surprise of this wine be rich and robust, or sweet and far too savory? Or cool and crisp with a sassy more bitter fruit taste so teasingly obvious? But more to the point is the long stemmed wine glass and the design reflecting graceful curves or sharp lines possibly a hand made mouth blown glass from an artist's perception and enjoyed before a crackling fire! Now you have the juices of savour flowing again, I shall have to post another savour photo that doesn't consist of ki-wi!

The Gearheads said...

I sympathize with your situation. I don't like to drink unless I am at home, I just have a difficulty with control of the car and it's mix with alcohol.

This is a wonderful picture, I feel it brings the warmth and comfort of a glass of wine. Coming from a long line of Italians, I always remember wine as part of the dinner. Pasta, vegetable, side dish, main dish, and salad, always accompanied with a glass of wine. Great food, great wine, great people, and great conversations. Mind you, in our family the dinner table did not ever have only one conversation going at a time, and absolutely not quiet. I find comfort in sitting around a table with a large group, drinking wine, and trying to keep up with five conversations at once.
-Mr.