Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Deep in the heart of...Georgia


Places and names
Dalton, GA, January 2009
[Please click here for more far-from-home goodness]

I've been to many places in my life, but I can quite honestly say that up until this cold night in northern Georgia, I had never been on or near Dug Gap Battle Road.

If we hadn't been so tired from being on the road since first light, we might have explored the neighborhood a little more. I'm sure there were a few other street sign gems lurking in the darkness.

Your turn: Strange street or place names. Please discuss.

6 comments:

Cloudia said...

safe travels!





Aloha from Waikiki

Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


<°)}}><

young-eclectic-encounters said...

Living in Georgia, I can give you some real good example of strange signs and names. We have to counties next to each other Bacon and Coffee. There were so many streets in Atlanta with Peachtree in it they had to change some of them when we had the Olympics here. When I go from my town Griffin to the next town north, Locust Grove I take Griffin-Locust Grove Rd on the way back I take Locust Grove-Griffin Rd. Same road different name just depends on your direction and there are a lot of roads like that. And then there are the just plain strange like: Frog Ln. I could go on and on Georgia certainly is an interesting place to live
Johnina :^A

That Blond Guy said...

Hurray for Georgia! That's where I am!

srp said...

Check streets in Lancaster, PA and surrounding areas..... that is all I will say.

21 Wits said...

Oh my gosh I love strange and thought provoking names, and the south has many of them! Especially when they add visual words to it like, Ferry or harbor, gap and etc... just Smith Street is so boring.....

Pat Tillett said...

the older parts of this country have some odd street names. Especially in rural or semi-rural areas. At one time these names served a purpose, not they are just funny...