Thursday, January 27, 2011

Into the blue forest


Painted by the fog
London, ON, February 2010
[Click photo to embiggen]

A neat thing happens in the early morning fog as the light tends to shift toward the blue side of the spectrum. I'm pretty sure there's a valid optical reason for it, and I'll leave our budding physicists to explain the intricacies of it all.

The only thing that mattered to me at the moment I took this was making sure the picture reflected that mysterious sense of quiet that settles over a place when the fog rolls in. It isn't just that the sounds were hushed - they, of course, were - but rather that the silence managed to embed itself deep inside my head.

When the only thing you can hear is the sound of yourself thinking, you know it's a special moment that deserves a bookmark of some sort.

Your turn: How do you define true silence?

One more thing: This photo supports our blue Thematic theme. Feel free to click here if you'd like to share yours (you know, it's never really too late!) And check back later today - 7:00 p.m. Eastern - when we launch our next weekly theme. What will it be? Well, what would you like it to be? We're happily taking suggestions in comments.

10 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

Oh, that's gorgeous!

Kalei's Best Friend said...

True silence encompasses so many interpretations:
So quiet u can hear a pin drop
An uncomfortable moment
An unsaid word as a response
An epiphany is definitely one.
The moment of truth...

Rebecca said...

wow beautiful photo

Kavi said...

Fantastic !

:)

SY said...

Great photo..

true silence is a moment that has to be broken by noise.

- sy

21 Wits said...

True silence for me is hearing the feelings from inside my heart....as for a theme....grey, gray, warm gray,cool gray, and more grey......or have we seen too much of it lately?... Did you know there is no color opposite of gray?

larkswing said...

True silence - I come by what I think of ture silence so rarely. For me, it is a spot - such as your photo. A spot like that without a steady stream of traffic nearby. No a/c or heating system running. Just the noise of nature itself. Life at its most basic level. The moment when I want to tell anyone near me shhhhhh and close my eyes for a second or two. ahhhhhhh.

Anonymous said...

good silent feel

cactus petunia said...

Beautiful, mysterious and dreamy all at once.

VanityofVanities said...

That photo is a melancholic and somehow menacing for me.

"How do you define true silence?"
Well for me silence could be considered as internal silence and external silence. External silence is when your environment or the things around you is very silent and still, however internal silence is when your own self wants to be silent and still to know and to reflect on what is really happening on your own self. I guess, every one of us needs these two silence in order for us to know more about ourselves and to reflect on our life if we are still living on it worthily. :)

Thanks for sharing,
Peny@online scrubs