Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Torah, torah, torah


Intricately holy
London, ON, September 2010
About this photo: We're winding down our three-week journey through our favorite photos of 2010. New theme launches Thursday evening at 7:00 Eastern. And what will the theme be? Wet. In the meantime, the old theme remains live - here - if you want to get some last-minute contributions in.
Synagogues around the world read from the Old Testament every week. Each scroll, known as a torah, is hand written on special parchment by a single scribe who literally cannot make a mistake. If he does, it's back to square one. Talk about pressure.

As you can imagine, each torah is priceless, and the arrival of a new or refurbished one is cause for major celebration. So when our Rabbi said it was OK for me to shoot our congregation's scrolls, I approached the experience with a huge degree of trepidation.

So I shot slowly and deliberately, careful to avoid losing my balance as I hovered near these ornately crafted icons of history. Only afterward, as I reviewed the results, could I truly appreciate the artistry of those who had labored to create them.

Your turn: Ever shoot something that scared you?

3 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Hmmm, I shot a photo of a dead rat and a poor dead bird does that count? I have it...I guess I photographed it cuz, I was first in shock, then noticed the pose and what was left.. Also the sadness of the whole thing..

Rebecca said...

besutiful picture as always you are amazing as for shooting something that scares me nope i'm usually running screaming in oppisite direction..lol

Anonymous said...

Uh, well, it seems almost sacriligous to say so... but yes. I have shot something that scared me. It was a bear and I used a .30-06. I know that's not where you were going with this one, but I had to be a bit cheeky.

I photographed a wolf last summer, high on a mountain ridgeline. It approached close enough that I fumbled the camera and started waving my arms to scare it off. Consequently, the pictures are not much to speak of- the experience, though? Beyond words.