Sunday, October 06, 2013

Sitting by the pool

Have a seat
Laval, QC
August 2013
Thematic. Multiples. Here.
Sometimes I take pictures not because the subject matter is staggeringly beautiful, but because I think the images captured within them will eventually take me back to this place and time when, years later, I come across the photos in some dusty album (or, if we're being modern, the digital equivalent of same.)

It was a warm, sunny afternoon, and my kids were in the outdoor pool with their cousins. They don't get to see each other very often, and the little folks look up to our kids in a way that makes you wish we lived a little closer. While the whole extended mishpacha* watched them from the side of the pool, I wandered to the other side and scoped out these throwaway plastic chairs.

Clearly one of them had been soaking in the sun for a bit longer than all the others - kind of like a Sesame Street song, come to think of it - and I thought that despite the thermoplastic-injected shock of poolside color, they looked a little sad.

Either way, years from now I'll look at this shot and remember not the temporary-plastic-ness of it all, but the rollicking moment playing off to my immediate right, and how simply being there made me feel as I lined up the shot, metered it and tripped the shutter.

Your turn: Sad? Happy? Or something in between? How does this shot make you feel?

* Family.

No comments: