Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The long and winding road

Hilly
London, ON
September
For more Thematic streetscapes, click here
Funny things happen with optics when you point a long lens at a particular scene. Things tend to look a little squished front-to-back - or is it back-to-front? - thanks to the optical properties of the telephoto lens.

It's really quite neat, and if you're aware of the phenomenon, you can have a little fun with it when you're out and about.

On this bright morning, I needed a little bit of fun. This was shot from the parking deck of a nearby hospital, which is as depressing as it sounds. I was feeling less than my usual lovely self, and I looked to my camera for a little spontaneous enjoyment. As I wandered around the concrete decks in search of a scene that made me happy, I came across this view in the distance and thought it would fit the bill rather nicely.

I drive on this road often, but have never seen it from quite this perspective before. I'm guessing the next time I find myself here, I'll be looking at it through a fresh set of eyes.

Photography as optical therapy. Who would have ever thought?

3 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Have u ever noticed sun shots do the same? I remember shooting a sunset straight on thru some tree tops and it came out w/a vintage look...

21 Wits said...

Isn't it amazing when we see everyday things in a different light! Great capture Carmi, of quite a streetscape!

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Gentlemen, START YOUR ENGINES!
~