Wednesday, July 15, 2026

Beautiful ballyard

Field of dreams
Toronto, ON
May 2026
This photo originally shared on Instagram


FIFA might take exception to any other sport calling itself the beautiful game, but I’ll happily argue the point that every field of play is breathtaking in its own right.

Toronto’s Rogers Centre is no exception. When configured for Blue Jays baseball, it’s almost impossible to walk into the stadium and not be wowed by the view. I’ll often time out from watching the game and just appreciate the space for what it is: a giant playground that evokes the deep history of a culturally significant pastime.

The last time we were there, I was entranced by deep centre field. It’s an often overlooked part of the field, because most of the action takes place way over by home plate. Or in the infield. Out here, it feels like an afterthought.

But every once in a while, a long fly ball or sharply hit grounder sparks a flurry of activity in this usually empty space. The crowd holds its breath as outfielders scramble to catch the ball and save the game. For a few tense seconds, the play can go one way or another before it all ends just as quickly as it began and the crowd returns to its already scheduled programming on the other end of the ballyard.

Which explains why I stare into the emptiness and wait for something to happen.

#toronto #canada #bluejays #rogerscentre #skydome #throwback

No comments: