Thursday, July 09, 2026

Finding art in the shadows

Alleyway discovery
London, ON
July 2026
This photo originally shared on Instagram


I’m running an errand downtown when I catch sight of some raging graffiti at the back of an alleyway and decide to take a closer look.

As I walk toward the back of the alley and round the first corner to snag a photo, I hear a scratching sound to my left. I turn my head and realize I’ve interrupted a middle-aged woman in a tattered hoodie injecting herself in the shadows between a crumbling brick wall and a thick stand of weeds.

I’m standing close enough to her that I feel the need to apologize before heading back to the street. I need not have worried, because she didn’t look up.

As I’m walking out, a salt-and-pepper-bearded man approaches and offers me a swig of beer from an open bottle. I politely decline.

The streets of downtown London are increasingly filled with individual tragedies, none of which offer easy answers or even much hope. I want to cry as I get back into my car and leave it all in my rear-view.

#ldnont #canada #downtown #homeless #crisis

No comments: