Thursday, July 16, 2026

Sad dog. Dirty air.

Please don't breathe
London, ON
July 2026
This photo originally shared on Instagram


I’m not one to join photographic bandwagons, but I’ll make an exception this time.

I shot this image of Calli the Wonderschnauzer yesterday afternoon. The smoke from historic wildfires in northwestern Ontario had arrived earlier in the day, turning pristine blue skies into a frightening sepia-toned mess that wouldn’t be out of place in a horror movie.

The air was so thick we could taste it, and our walks will be severely truncated until this is over. As you can see here, she’s not pleased.

As expected, the smoke show, which for much of the day gave Toronto to our east the distinction of having the lowest air quality in the world, sparked quite the upheaval on social media. And understandably so given how frightening it can be when the air we breathe could land us in hospital.

Yet in the faraway communities where the fires are actually burning, things are already so much worse. Homes and businesses are being reduced to ash. Entire towns and reserves are being evacuated. Everyone else hangs on tenterhooks, hoping against hope that the spreading necklace of fire doesn’t come for them next.

It’s a perspective thing, I guess. Someone always has it worse. The pup and I had a safe space to return to. Not everyone can say the same.

#ldnont #canada #climatechange #wildfires #actofdog

No comments: