Tuesday, July 07, 2026

Tempting fate in the hotel breakfast nook

Naturally packaged protein
Dorval, QC
July 2026
This photo originally shared on Instagram


I’m a big fan of hotel breakfasts. Cruise downstairs, navigate the crowds seeking similar morning nutrition, grab what you need, then take a seat and listen to the buzz of countless overlapping travellers getting ready for another eventful day.

It’s a fascinating crossroads of sorts, a shared moment that will be acted out by fresh visitors every day thereafter. The energy is always inspiring.

So of course I have to inject a little photography into the proceedings, partly because breakfasts are especially lens-friendly, and partly because it’s always a trip to watch strangers react to my spontaneous photo shoots in a place where photography generally doesn’t - or maybe shouldn’t - happen.

And today’s breakfast starts out with a single hard boiled egg. I can’t find a bowl, so I carefully balance it on a plate as I slowly walk to my table. By the time I get there, I’m so proud of myself for not dropping it that I feel obligated by the universe to shoot a weird photo of it.

I get stares. But since most of them are accompanied by smiles, I stick to the plan and snag a few different angles. In the end, the simple one wins, and as I put the camera away and tuck into my breakfast, I hope I’ve given strangers something to ponder before they, too, hit the road.

For what it’s worth, it was a pretty good egg.

#montreal #dorval #canada #throwback #monochrome #stilllife #shotoniphone

No comments: