Thursday, September 08, 2005

Old and new


The thing that stands out as you walk the streets of Seattle is how active its skyline is. Old and new highrises watch over countless construction sites where skeletal buildings gradually take shape and stake their claim on a new piece of the sky. It's fascinating to watch from a pedestrian's perspective, especially since I come from a city whose idea of a construction boom encompasses a bulldozer, two pickup trucks and a construction company sign on a temporary fence that surrounds the old gas station on the corner.

This was right near my hotel, and I was struck by the way the various buildings interacted with each other. I stared at it for a while because I found it strangely comforting: the old building with its soothingly arched windows holding its ground in the shadows of its larger glass-clad neighbor. Then I took this picture before the trumpet-playing guy on the corner asked me to double the size of his one-man band.

I flew back to London today, and am home now. But as I sift through the hundreds of images I took, I think of this neat and quite different place that I was privileged to experience for a tantalizingly brief time. I hope I get to return soon, and I hope I won't be alone when I do.

9 comments:

Dean said...

I like Seattle. It's like a grubbier version of Vancouver. The two cities are astonishingly similar. Each has its own hipness.

Next time you come, drop me an email and maybe we can meet at the original Starbucks. :)

Jef said...

It seems very sunny for Seattle.

kenju said...

Well, that was a cryptic ending! What is up, Carmi?

Jenny said...

Yay! You made it out with kneecaps intact!

Anonymous said...

Years ago, my husband and I spent some time in Seattle during our honeymoon. It's still, after all these years, one of my favorite towns.

Here from Michele's tonight, but I always enjoy my visits.

Crazy MomCat said...

If you go again, ask about taking the "underground tour." It was one of the most quirky and interesting things I've done on a trip before. There are portions of the city, from many years ago, that are literally at basement level under the buildings of the city. It is a really neat city. I have been a couple of times and wouldn't mind going back!

Misti said...

This picture reminds of Petco Park in San Diego,beautiful stadium that was built around an historic building. Its awesome.

Here via micheles :)

Kevin said...

I've always wanted to go to Seattle, if only to spend an afternoon at Safeco Field. But I'm afraid I might not come back. Went to Vancouver once and very nearly stayed.

Michele sent me today.

dena said...

That's a lovely view. I love a city that has the character to keep the old, and infuse the new.

visiting from michele's