Friday, October 15, 2010

Over the foggy hill


Awakenings
London, ON, February 2009
[Please click here for Thematic Photographic's "Turning Colder" theme]


Ever notice how a foggy morning seems to seep through however many layers you may be wearing? You can bundle up as much as you want to, but you'll always feel a certain chill as you step out into the near-silence that accompanies a pea-soup environment.

That's how I felt on this morning. According to the thermometer, it wasn't especially cold. It was actually above zero thanks to an unseasonable warm trend. Which is how the fog came to be, I guess, as the blanket of snow that had blanketed our burg for months sublimated in the suddenly warm air.

So I took a walk before we all had to head for the day that awaited. And as my bones chattered inside my warm coat, I buried my hands deeper in the pockets and wished for more mornings exactly like this one.

Your turn: How do you keep warm?

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your play with bright lights and soft shapes!

Mustang Sally said...

ooooh, I love this photo!

My fingers and feet must be kept warm, then I'm usually all right. I have a little space heater that sits under my computer desk and I often wear knit gloves ... even in the house.

21 Wits said...

A very deep photo that just wants to draw you in! Very nice. Your question about, Keeping warm (stay inside, kidding) when it's really cold, having my head covered and my feet warm and gloves seems to work for me...but I'm pretty warm blooded so that helps!

Juniper said...

I love the anticipation of this photo.

As for keeping warm, a down jacket does the job pretty well :-)

Tabor said...

Once I am chilled only a hot bubble bath can bring respite! The photo makes me want to take that walk with you.

Kalei's Best Friend said...

The obvious would be, to drink something hot... Somehow a how chai latte does it for me... must be the steamed milk and the foam...smells of comfort... also a good book to go along w/it...

Shirley said...

Mmmm hot chocolate, a throw over my lap and curled up by the fireplace, preferably with a good book, sometimes a movie, are ways I like to keep warm. Unfortunately your post is a reminder that days like this, the cold and snow, are just around the corner.

Anna said...

Hot showers, tea, warm socks, bathrobes and sweaters. I am a ridiculously cold person in the winter. =P I have to cope with a perpetual chill for the entire season.

Somewhere round about said...

hat or a scarf over my head

I love that image you've got there....just clicked on it and there's more....great....

awareness said...

Carmi, I love this photo. Just the right amount of light coming up over the hill. Haunting.

How do I keep warm? I don't have to worry about that. I'm a 50 year old woman. I'm always warm! lol!