Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Where the branch ends


Blooming
London, ON, September 2010
[Click here for more branch-themed insanity]

As you can tell from this shot, I'm a fan of texture. Soft light combined with soft surfaces can create the kind of texture that can actually make you feel something that isn't even there; a neat optical trick given the fact that typical picture is little more than two dimensions of unreality.

This is the kind of picture I like to return to later on, as it brings me a sense of peace that comes in handy when the planet seems to have other plans.

Maybe "unreality" was a little harsh, because the feelings are real indeed.

Your turn:
Why does the dark appeal to us?

9 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

As far as the photo I find lilies romantic and sensual depending on the lighting...the back of that Calla fits both... The dark is mysterious, dangerous, and attractive.. Also its our curiosity that can get the best or worst of us... The dark can alter our personality-just like the way the tide and the moon can..The dark can mask the ugly as well...Make things look better than they might not look as well in the light... What's that saying" we all are the same in the dark'?

catharine said...

This appears strangely 3 dimensional.

Sy said...

he likes me.. he likes me not.

that is what I think of

srp said...

Because it is mysterious... and we all love a little mystery!

Cloudia said...

Well shown


well said, Carmi.

you made me feel something-



Aloha from Waikiki

Comfort Spiral

Dionne said...

Love the photo. As to the question: I think the dark appeals to us because whats in it is unknown to us it is undiscovered and we are discoverers by nature.

21 Wits said...

Funny you mention appeal and dark, because that's my blog for this morning, if I get there. But certainly you mastered more than reality. Simply fascinating photo where each eye that takes a look may see at first glance something else. After my first glance three things came to mind! Confusing me into a state of mind (I always love a good mystery) what in the world is it! Thank you for all the spendid comments on my blog. I am new at this and any support even pointers of my errors are all welcome! Have a great day "branching out." :) Karen

Rebecca said...

i must say you have the most amazing photos. as for the dark i like it because it hides me and i love the thought of being invisible.

Anonymous said...

The dark...

Without the shadows, what would be sunlight? The dark is perspective, relief... it is the horizon meeting the sky for a cup of coffee...

Without the dark, there could be no light. Dark is balance, contrast, the very centrifuge of color.