Monday, October 11, 2010

Where birds are welcome


A place to call home
London, ON, July 2010

About this photo: It's "branched" week all week long here at Written Inc., as Thematic Photographic celebrates anything remotely woody that grows toward the sky. Please click here to share your own branched vision. Happiness shall ensue.
In the backyard of our friend's home, there's this tree that sits in the middle and casts a delightfully soft shade over the seating area. It's the kind of place where we've spent many quiet afternoons and evenings, just chatting about whatever comes up. It's a comforting, happy place.

They hung a bird feeder there this summer, and as the sun slowly settled toward the horizon one particular day in July, I found myself staring at the two kinds of wood - before and after - and feeling comforted as much by the sight of this combined source of life as I was by the banter of voices floating over from nearby.

Another subtle reminder from the universe that it's the simple things that matter most.

Your turn: Where's your favorite quiet place? What makes it your favorite?

One more thing: My lovely wife wrote about our daughter's big weekend on her blog. Click here to see what she had to say.

4 comments:

Wayward Son said...

The perfect quiet is in my own backyard. I frequently get home from work in the wee hours of the morning when the most of the world is asleep. About twice a year (if I'm lucky), when I step out of the car and close the door, there's just nothing. No sound at all; no traffic on the road; no dogs barking; not even a breeze. The pinging of the engine cooling down sounds like a hammer but even that fades away. It's a quiet that reaches your soul.

Jelena said...

What a lovely sentiment. It evoked all sorts of nostalgia as it made me think back to similar moments shared with my family as kid. Especially now that I am separated by thousands of kilometres from them all. I wish I knew then how precious those moments were. Or perhaps it was the not knowing and just being, that made it so special :)
Anyway, my moments of reverie are in the morning when the rest of my household is asleep and I have the kitchen and quiet to myself. I let the light and chirping in as I make my breakfast. It's the most peaceful part of my day.

Congratulations or "Mazel Tov" on the Bat Mitzvah of your daughter :)

Rebecca said...

my quiet place is my back porch it's my favorite because i can watch the sunset from there and totally zone out the world for a moment.

http://becca-mycrazystuff.blogspot.com/

catharine said...

Who lives in this fine, red house?