Thursday, August 14, 2014

Eat your breakfast every day

Shapes on a table
Laval, QC
August 2014
Thematic. Look straight down. Here.
There's a moment before every meal when I stare down at the table and ask myself if the scene needs to be remembered. Yes, we're supposed to eat three square meals per day and, yes, over the course of a lifetime that probably adds up to to a lot of potential photographic moments. Indeed, it's enough that pics like the one you see here aren't all that special anymore, because we can shoot them anytime, anywhere.

But this particular pic was taken on a particular morning in a particular place that my kids had been talking about for a while. It's just a breakfast place, a simple restaurant, really, a spot we've been taking them to since they were kids. It's called Allo Mon Coco, and whenever we make the long drive back to our hometown to visit family, it's high on their must-visit list.

So when I stood up and pointed my lens down at this decidedly geometric meal, I wasn't just capturing the sight of an apple crepe and coffee. I was trying to remember why this place was, and is, special to our kids, and what that experience felt like. Because sometimes I like to scroll through other mealtime entries here on my blog - exhibits A and B - because they take me back, like little time machines, to places, people and times that would otherwise vanish to history.

Looking at it that way, maybe I'm not taking anywhere near enough mealtime pics. What thinketh you?

3 comments:

21 Wits said...

A goodness how yummy! I feel guilty now, I have a post to get in for my TP 2. Later I promise!

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Looks yummy...and sweet!

Here's a picture of my last restaurant meal.
~

Somewhere round about said...

i thinketh that most of us don't capture nearly enough mealtimes images.....