Thursday, August 21, 2014

More stroke stuff...

It's been an interesting week around here, mostly driven by my decision earlier this month to write about the stroke that I had last year. Hit this link if you're just joining us. Then this one for the part 2 (which I guess makes this entry #3 in a series. Funny how that works. But I digress.)

I've received a ton of outreach from folks near and far, and it's been happily overwhelming to realize just how much goodness there is out there. It's often said you realize how great people are when the chips are down, and this is one of those moments: I'm amazed at how kind everyone has been.

At the same time, I've received a lot of attention from folks in media. I'm sure part of it revolves around the fact that many of them know me, and there's a certain appeal to the-tech-guy-had-a-stroke angle. I'm perfectly cool with that, because one of my goals in raising the volume was to help generate awareness, and give folks an opportunity to look at their own lives and perhaps lead them more purposefully.

For example, my friend Dan Brown wrote an article about me, Stroke survivor shares his story, that published in the August 20 London Free Press. Here's the link to the PDF.

I spoke with Susan McReynolds on CBC Ontario Morning on Aug. 21. She is an incredible interviewer, and she very gently, very deftly walked through the experience with me. Here's a link to the audio file of that interview. - or just click the embedded play button below. It's always a privilege to work with the CBC Ontario Morning team, but this was extra-special.


John Moore interviewed me on his show, Moore in the Morning, on NewsTalk 1010 Toronto on Friday (Aug 22) morning. Here's a link to the audio file, and the embedded player is just below. I often speak with John and his team about the big tech topics of the day, so it was a fascinating change of direction to talk about this.


Barry Morgan and I opened our weekly tech segment on CJAD 800 Montreal on Aug. 22 with a bit of a segue into my little adventure. Stay tuned to the end, as well, as a listener shared an incredibly moving - and sobering - experience. Here's a link to the audio file. Here's a link to the stream on CJAD's SoundCloud account. Or just click on the embedded element here:


I spoke with NewsTalk 1010's Adrienne Batra on August 8:


And CHED 630 Edmonton's Dan Tencer on August 11:


Related blog entries:
- So, about that stroke (where it all began)
- When even "thank you" seems lame (part 2)

---------

Next up:

I'll be sharing my experience with CJOB Winnipeg's Dahlia Kurtz on Tuesday, August 26th at 3:30 p.m. ET. There may be more as plans continue to unfold. I'll update the blog accordingly, and will upload audio files as they become available.

Thank you, everyone. More to come - just writing that makes me smile, because I'm still here. It's a small thing, really, but the more I think about it, the more I realize nothing is small anymore.

3 comments:

tiff said...

So glad that awareness is being raised, even though I am still sorry that you and your family had to endure the scare. You're doing good work, Carmi.

Dan Brown said...

I am not surprised!

darlin said...

Carmi, I couldn't agree more that the little things in life aren't so little. I admire your tenacity and that you are raising awareness in an area which isn't addressed near enough in my opinion. I too have had a very near brush with death, one which has led me back to the classrooms so I can use not only my life experiences, but book knowledge as well to help those who suffer from the deadly disease of addiction(s). One of the paradoxes in life I believe is we don't know what we have until it is taken from us, then some of us are blessed enough to gain it back, and then some!

I'm glad to hear you're doing okay and hats off to you for using your experience to share an important message.

I hope you have a wonderful and blessed weekend! Cheers.