Sunday, September 05, 2021

Shooting a captain on the shiny orange floor

Not a real captain
London, ON
September 2021
This photo originally shared on Instagram


The scene: Our local Loblaws supermarket. My wife and I have come here to top off the pantry before the no-retail-for-24-hours apocalypse that is the Labor Day stat holiday.

It’s also return-to-Western time of year, with beleaguered parents shepherding their stunned-looking university-student kids through the crowded store as they stock up on necessities before turning them loose on their own, hoping they don’t starve in the process. Ah, good times.

Debbie and I jokingly call this date night, because you take joy wherever you can find it. So we’re waiting in the lineup to check out when Debbie notices a Cap’n Crunch display across the front aisle facing the registers. But it’s a special kind of Cap’n Crunch. Cotton candy. Limited edition.

I decide I must have photographic evidence. So I duck under the imitation not-quite-velvet rope and grab a box for a fast shoot. I drop to the floor and set up the still-life scene, taking great care to ensure I’m nowhere near anyone else.

When I’m done, I pop the box back where I found it and return to my wife. The woman behind us starts laughing as she reaches into her basket and pulls out the same box. We have a delightful conversation about reliving our childhoods through cereal before the automated screen directs us to register #4.

In the car on the way home, I complain to my ever-patient wife that Cap’n Crunch isn’t a real captain, yet generations of children have been led to believe that he is. She smiles that smile of hers that reminds me how lucky I am.

Thank you for joining us for another Levy Date Night. End scene.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #loblaws #grocery #store #captaincrunch #cereal #shopping #retail #orange #floor #reflective #random #stilllife #photography #apple #iphone #iphone11 #shotoniphone #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins #family #everything

Related:
Bananas in the round, February 2020
Really expensive bread, December 2006
Up, up and away, September 2006

No comments: