Sunday, March 06, 2022

Epic battle in the western sky

When patience pays off
London, ON
March 2022
This photo originally shared on Instagram


The clouds have been piling up against the horizon, threatening to ruin the sunset show for anyone gathered to witness it.

Who am I kidding? I’m the only one dumb enough to be out here waiting for the sunset.

Everyone else - drivers, dog walkers, and the elderly couple holding hands as they argue - looks at the weird guy standing alone in the muddy park, probably wondering why he’s standing alone in a muddy park.

I think to myself that I’m probably wasting my time, standing here for no reason while my feet slowly sink into the bog. I watch the clouds move toward me, looking for a telltale opening or thin spot that might offer up some color or tone, anything to make this photowalk worth it.

Sunset time - 6:19 - comes and goes, and still the sky refuses to cooperate. But something inside compels me to stay. Because you never know.

After about 10 minutes, I see a glimmer of color and light low on the horizon. It isn’t much, but it’s something. I compose and shoot a few scenes. This is the last frame - at 6:31 - before I finally call it and head for home.

I suppose there’s a lesson here. Maybe it’s about patience. Or listening to your own voice and ignoring the judgment of others. Or changing gears when the world doesn’t cooperate. Or getting out as often as you can, because we all need to stare at the horizon and hope against hope.

Which explains why I’ll be out there again tonight.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #sun #sunset #sky #weather #wx #silhouette #walkabout #forest #tree #trees #nature #naturephotography #landscape #landscapephotography #photography #Nikon #nikonphotography #nikon_photography #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins

Related:
Big sky country, July 2011
Under a blood red sky, November 2009
Muted landscape, December 2008

No comments: