Sunday, March 26, 2006

Breakfast with a twist

It's been a quiet weekend on the blog thanks to my schedule here at the conference. I've been spending a lot of time in briefings and in sessions with vendors. I've picked up so much insight from everyone I've encountered that it seems as if I've been here for ages. Yet I've been in town for under 36 hours. Time does funny things when you're going flat-out.

There are about 10,000 folks here, but what really struck me was the breakfast I had with one particular person this morning.

He's a global vice-president of a really large software company that most of you know. We had a great discussion about what makes a mid-sized business tick. Since I work for a company whose technology research focuses on the mid-sized space, it was refreshing to speak to someone so accomplished who so gets the unique challenges these companies face.

Once I got past my starstruck phase, I was able to settle back into my role as a technology analyst who likes to write cool stuff and interview cool folks. I asked a lot of questions and shared my perspectives with someone who really wanted to know what I thought. I jotted down scribbly notes under the table so that I wouldn't forget these pearls of wisdom. My mind boggles when I think of the ideas that are churning in my head as a result of our discussion.

I was asked to have an hour of this top gun's time because someone somewhere thought it would be a worthwhile investment. Note to anonymous benefactor: it was. Many thanks indeed.

Sometimes, I wonder why they call this work. It doesn't feel that way to me.

4 comments:

utenzi said...

Michele sent me, Carmi.

That sounds so great. I have a pretty decent job doing research but it sounds like your job is even better. I must spend at least 50% of my time doing meaningless crap with paperwork, meetings, and accounting stuff. I doubt more than 10% of my work time is spent on the "vision" type thing--and that's where the fun is. It sounds to me like you think and write about "vision" quite a bit. Sure sounds great to me.

Heather said...

It's great that you enjoy your work so much! It makes lufe so much easier, doesn't it?

Viamarie said...

It's great to know that you love what you're doing. You will really achieve big things in life with that kind of a work attitude.

Exchanging notes with someone outside your work environment is the most refreshing experience you can get.

Keep it up!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Isn't it wonderful Carmi, that you love what you do and don't feel like it is work! That's the best, isn't it? It sure sounds like this is a productive time in Dallas! Enjoy the rest of your time their.