Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Home again, looking forward

The interesting thing about flying home from a conference as large as Convergence is that even though you have left the convention centre, checked out of your hotel and officially left the conference site, the conference really hasn't left you.

This became fairly apparent when my cab pulled up to the curb at the airport. Every second person walking into the departures area was wearing or carrying the Microsoft backpack that the company had given to all attendees. On the surface, it's great marketing. Beyond that, though, it represents the challenge of all attendees to convert what they've learned into sustainable action for their businesses.

I ended up sitting behind, next to, and in front of other attendees, and the flow of conversation throughout the flight suggested I wasn't the only one who was churning lingering thoughts of opportunity in my head.

Over the next few days, I'll unpack, review my notes and give them the thought they deserve. I'll update my own action plan, figuring out how to best write about what I've learned. I imagine the other 10,000 folks are doing much the same thing. I guess a simple get-together of like-minded souls can have far-reaching implications to the way we run our businesses - and our everyday lives.

10 comments:

Karen said...

Hey Carmi! I haven't been here in ages. Conferences...hmmm...I have a lot of friends that attend conferences. To me, they often seem to be an excuse not to go to work. Most of the people that I know don't utilize them as responsibly as you obviously do. I usually hear stories about the nice dinners and the strange people. Interesting contrast.

Just stopping by....*waves*

Natsthename said...

Keep going to conferences and you'll have a collection of assorted bags, shirts, coffee mugs, etc with all of the various logos. My hubby has tons of stuff like that. He used to make them "presents" to the kids, but now unless it's something cool like a toy ( a bouncy ball that flashes lights when you bounce it), they are unimpressed!!

kenju said...

My kids hardly ever liked the "perks" that mr. kenju brought home from his many conferences.

I will be interested to see how you distill all that info.

jennypenny said...

Sounds like an interesting conference. I think it would be amazing to hear Bill Gates speak. In a lot of ways I think he is probably more powerful than the president of his own country! Looking forward to hearing some more thoughts on what you thought of it all.

Anonymous said...

Welcome home, Carmi!

Anonymous said...

...that is how I feel in a way after I do a show.. I get home its like I have to come down from a drug sorta. I really love what I do.. I relive everthing that I did in the show bit by bit. Asking myself if I could have done anything smarter. They say this job is all brute strength.. I don't think so .. I really believe that you have to use your head .. Or you get hurt..
Anyways... I look forward to hearing more on your lets say "Coming together"

Suzanne said...

yes, they are kind of like big pep rallies that pump up our motivation, and get our ideas flowing. Not to mention all the bags and squishy stress balls you seem to bring home. Sometimes its nice to feel rejuvinated with fresh ideas! Welcome home.

Viamarie said...

You're blessed to be given the opportunity to go to conference like this. Definitely a very productive activity.

Hope you have en enjoyable time sharing all the things you learned.

ribbiticus said...

am pretty sure your mind was buzzing with so many ideas even during the flight! now that you're home, it's time to enjoy your family! :)

ribbiticus said...

oops, forgot to tell you...i have a short video entry last mar 26th that might give you a laugh...:)