Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Priceless jewels

I'm snowed under this week, hence the relative silence on the site. Work is insane and I'm cutting into my sleep time to compensate. I know, bad Carmi.

I don't have a huge amount of time to write anything insightful, but I wanted to share this picture with you. It's a bracelet that resulted from a Sunday craft project a couple of years ago. On a dreary morning, my wife and I took the kids on a quest to pick up all the stuff needed to make these bracelets. After more stops than I care to remember, we got home and arrayed the chains and beads on the kitchen table. A couple of hours and two cases of carpal tunnel syndrome later, we all had bracelets.

As you can see, I'm still wearing mine. It's somewhat worse for wear and it certainly doesn't rank up there with diamonds and gold on the refine-o-meter. But I find it difficult to take it off. No matter how tired I get, I look down at my wrist and am reminded why I do the insane things I do.

It's a very grounding thing to wear, and a very humbling way to ensure I make it through the day.

I guess not all jewels are mined from the ground and cost a pretty penny. Some simply have no price at all.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy the many facets of your blog, Carmi, and I particularly like posts like this one that show fine details of your enormous love for your family.

~A~ said...

Those are the best jewels. My favotire jewelery pieces are the ones the kids made.

Anonymous said...

That's so sweet. They're lucky to have a doting daddy that tells them they're treasured.

Anonymous said...

Hope your work lets up to give you more R7R slack before long.

Rhodent said...

You are a wonderful daddy! Great post, Carmi!

Jennifer said...

No diamond or gold could ever amount to how precious that bracelet is. Ever.

Anonymous said...

Ah, Carmi, I've missed you. Of course, that's no fault of yours, but because I just haven't had time to read or write blogs lately. I do so enjoy your genuine love and awe for your family, though, particularly your children. They're supremely blessed to have such a wonderful, loving daddy.

Anonymous said...

Really lovely how a symbol like that puts everything in perspective... it's what art is for...

Jef said...

Your house just sounds like so much fun. Here at Casa de Jef, we iron and urgently follow the cat around since she no longer has control of her bowels and bladder.

kenju said...

Once again you show us what a wonderful Daddy you are and how lucky your family is to have you.

Malinda777 said...

Oh my, the gifts of our sweet babes. I don't know how old yours are, but just wait. Mine are 22 & 16, and just about every single little treasure my boys ever gave me or made for me is still around most in plain view.

Viamarie said...

What a nice feeling it is to wear something done by a loved one. It is beautifully crafted.

Thumper said...

You write quite a bit about how much your family means to to, and how they're the reason you do what you do...but I wonder sometimes if you realize just how much all these little things will mean to your kids when they're older, without them even realizing it. How wonderful it is for them to grow up and know, without a doubt, that they're loved and wanted. It never has to be a question in the back of their minds. Not everyone gets that.

Kara said...

It's nice to have something that helps keep you grounded and to remind you daily of what your really working for.