Thursday, November 20, 2008

Smashed to bits


Shattered
Deerhurst, ON, August 2006
About this photo: We're exploring "broken" scenes as part of this week's Thematic Photographic. Please click here to get in on the action.
There's something to be said for glass that looks like it's been smashed to smithereens, then carefully pieced back together. Depending on one's mood, it looks either incredibly fragile or defiantly strong. Or maybe it can be both at the same time.

Whatever it is, I couldn't stop staring at this ornate piece of melted and styled sand when I came across it in a hotel lobby a couple of years back. The way it played with the light suggested it was anything but broken.

Your turn: Things that look better broken than whole. Please discuss.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right, as usual...the 'broken' takes the 'ordinary' out of it.

I love this shot.

Jama said...

For a second I thought it really is broken and someone must have taken great efforts in glueing it back! lol

sage said...

that's a picture to give hope to Humpty Dumpty... neat shot

kenju said...

My mother owned, and now I have several pieces of that crackled glass, which is blown and then stuck into a bucket of cold water to produce the hairline cracks.

Many of us are similarly broken. My "cracks" stand out in the mirror, and speak of my years of living.

Robin said...

Very cool shot.

Sadly, my own entry this week is something that would look a whole lot better unbroken - my son's arm. His timing is appropriate at least ;-).

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

awesome theme, Carmi.....and great image to go along too :)

Nikita said...

people sometimes work better when broken

Dianne said...

oh I love how you say it can be fragile and strong at the same time - so true and the photo depicts that beautifully

Sweetly said...

This is Incredible!! You are a amazing photographer. I would to be as talented as you!