Saturday, November 08, 2008

Defiant little buggers


Shades of red
London, ON, October 2004

I find inspiration in little things because, to be quite honest, looking for it in big things is too much work. Take this scene, captured on a long ago lunchtime walk. These leaves were pretty much doomed, but they were destined for one last show of brilliance before they winked out forever. Gotta love that sense of defiance in the face of the inevitable.

And all this from a seemingly lowly bunch of leaves. If only the same kind of thinking could be applied to, I don't know, humans?

Your turn: Little things that inspire you. Please discuss.

One more thing: Blah, blah, blah...Thematic Photographic's autumn theme. Blah, blah, blah...here's the link to jump in. Blah, blah, blah...did you know it's not too late to submit a Caption This caption, too? Just go here.

7 comments:

kenju said...

I am always impressed by the tenacity of leaves. We had some rain here in the last few days, which has brought down thousands of leaves, but enough remain to show us some color. This year, the fall color displays have not been prime - but we will accept them.

Anonymous said...

ugh. All of our leaves are pretty much gone with the last rain storm. Now the gray period sets in. I did have time to throw up one more autumn pic, though...Just check out my blog today!

Mojo said...

Our leaves were hanging in there until a couple of days ago too. But in the last 2 or 3 days, they've begun their annual pilgrimage to earth... leaving me with a lot of cleaning up to do.

But before I get at it, I thought I'd pass along my second view of Bethlehem, PA in fall:

Thematic Photographic 23: Autumn v.2.0 Payne Gallery

photowannabe said...

Never thought of the changing of the leaves as defiance of the inevitaable.
A very poetic way of looking at ti.
Love the purpley (is that a word?) and red leaves.
I will be posting another Autumn picture tonight when I return home after visiting friends.

Leora said...

Love those colors. Especially the purples.

Marimoy said...

It has been increasingly hard for me to find inspiration in things recently, but I find that butterflies tend to inspire me. They have no stingers or mouths, no parts that can do real damage. They are drunken creatures that seemingly float around oblivious to the world around them. They only live an average of 2 weeks, however, and in that time pollinate a huge area and lay more eggs. Butterflies pollinate about 40% of all flowering plants on earth. They have an important task and do so without the aid of defenses. They may seem fragile and weak, but still go against the odds and get the job done.

WH said...

Women's hair inspires me, and I mean that seriously. Color, texture, length--all tell me what kind of character she might be in a novel.

www.publexicon.com