Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Obama Nation, Day 1

So Barack Obama is now President-Elect and the U.S. is working through the hazy aftermath of a campaign that lasted almost as long as the previous leader's term (pause to consider. Isn't that fact just silly?) Just wanted to share a couple of thoughts before I forget them.
  • I'm Canadian. Yet I felt connected to this point in history more strongly than I did our country's own recently completed campaign. When political participation once again becomes the widely valued privilege that it ought to be, it behooves other nations - whose citizens long ago decided to opt out of the process - to observe and learn.
  • I fervently hope that the sense of hope that pervades a good chunk of the nation isn't temporary. I hope that the calls for change actually become change, and that our favorite neighbor somehow finds the mojo that helped it become a beacon oh so long ago. That shine has eroded somewhat in recent years, and it would be nice to have it back.
  • Ralph Nader plumbed new depths of divisiveness and reminded us that xenophobia is alive and well. First he used some very unsavory, racist language during an interview with a Houston radio station. Then, during an interview with FOX News, he refused to backtrack from his use of the language, leading the anchor to cut him off. The FOX clip has been posted to YouTube (here) and makes for fascinating, if more than a little disturbing, viewing. Your 15 minutes are up, Nader. Try to avoid hitting any Corvairs on the drive to oblivion.
Your turn: I hope you'll share a closing thought on the campaign that was and the future that will be. How does all of this touch you?

One more thing: The new Thematic Photographic will be posted tonight at 7:00 Eastern.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

The U.S. election was partially about race in as much as it was a historic first that hopefully will bring about some lessening of the country's negative racial views.
The election was as much a generational and ideological change as much as racial.
Barack Obama is eloquent, uplifting, inspirational, and intelligent. Oh, if only Canada would have such candidates.
I am very glad that he has won and feel that given the negative rhetoric that was expounded by the right wing radicals, this election was as much about the soul of America as its future.
I fear that expectations are so high that he cannot help but disappoint no matter how successful he may be.

Bradley B.

Anonymous said...

I just linked to the Fox news interview with Ralph Nader.
How ( pardon my language) Batshit crazy do you have to be to be cut off by Fox? Apparently 'ol bitter Ralph just set the bar.

Bradley B.

Carolyn said...

Well said, Carmi!

Throughout this campaign I was often reminded of this quote from "To Kill A Mockingbird:" "They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions... but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience. ~Harper Lee, Chapter 11, spoken by the character Atticus.

I hope [believe] that for once in a very long time, or maybe the first time, my country united in voting with our conscience :)

Darn, I forgot to put that quote on my own blog post today, lol!

Robin M said...

We are hoping for the best here and so glad the campaigning of the last two years is finally over.

I actually feel sorry for Bush and respect the man. He did the best he could and the media hated him. The media supposedly loves Obama and we'll see how long the love story lasts.

I am looking forward to seeing what Obama hopes to really accomplish and if he will be able to unite everyone.

Robin of mytwoblessings

Marla said...

I do think that change is needed. The expectations for Obama are very high. Change does not happen overnight. Things are a mess and it may take along time for the clean up to even begin. Now we well just have to see if he lives up to any of his promises!

Anonymous said...

Like most if not all in USA change is most definately needed. Im good with Obama winning. I hope what he has in store comes to be a reality.Of course Im totally apposed to his abortion issue. Very much so,but we will see.

Anonymous said...

This part of his victory speech bothered me:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep. We may not get there in one year or even one term, but America - I have never been more hopeful than I am tonight that we will get there. I promise you - we as a people will get there."

It seems he is already trying to backpedal a bit and lower expectations as well as start setting up to run his re-election campaign.

I was afraid he would end up being just another career politician and with that statement, I fear I may be right after all.

The markets certainly aren't reacting with optimism.

I don't follow Nader, never could take him seriously.

Z said...

his first act of picking Rohm Emanual sure didn't bode well for the CHANGE he's been tripping over himself getting out everywhere...sad.

The media hated Bush and the Saul Alinsky rules were used against McCain by partnering him up with him...it worked like a charm, as well as the other ALinsky regulations did..perfectly.
It's all been set up for years and this man is THE ONE to finalize it, I think.

I'll just be praying that obama keeps us all safe another four years and doesn't tax us into mediocrity....Europe will be so surprised in their excited fervor for obama when they find they have to start financing their own military protection, won't they? And paying for their own tsunami relief?

I wish obama well...but I hope stronger and better minds somehow prevail.

Anonymous said...

I just watched McCain's concession speech. It was like he was his true honorable self before he became desperate for the Presidency. Had he retained his integrity and not pandered to the right wing, he would probably have done better with mid-America and the moderate voters, however he would have alienated the right wing.( Who he previously called agents of intolerance and refused to suck up to.)
I have also noticed that Caribou Barbie never congratulated Mr. Obama on his victory, nor took to task the nutbars she seemed to attract at her rallies. I think you will see her soon with her new show on the Fox network. First guest-Ralph Nader.

Bradley B.

Mike said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Fox News... ugh! I couldn't be more excited. I really feel like the dark days are over. America will be able to restore it's standing in the world. I can't tell you how excited I am. Obama will do great things for us. He's inspirational and moving, and I think he will be able to bring us all together.

Lesle