Thursday, November 13, 2008

A bridge too far


Bedecking
London, ON, October 2007

About this photo: We're exploring rows as part of this week's Thematic Photographic. I hope you'll grab a similarly themed picture from your collection and share it with us. Click here to get started.
I cross over this bridge a number of times every week. The kids' school is nearby, and this structure routinely and silently gets us across the river that runs through our burg. As bridges go, it isn't much: just a flat, concrete deck that's maybe a hundred feet from one end to another. We never give it a second thought. It's just there, one of those forgotten chunks of urban life that, despite their utter invisibility, are critical to everyday life.

Yet when you look at it from an unusual perspective, it takes on a striking beauty that defies the way most folks see it. I think unusual perspectives like this are infinitely more fun than vanilla ones. I need to get out of the usual, you think?

Your turn: Please suggest an unusual way of looking at an everyday object. I'll try to bring back pictures based on your suggestions.

One more thing: I was on TV today, talking about Nortel's latest woes - possible impending bankruptcy and/or asset sale - on BNN's Trading Day. Click here to see the interview. I've also been busy on radio, speaking with CHQR's Rob Breakenridge in Calgary on Google Flu Trends, and Gary Doyle of 570News in Kitchener about the new BlackBerry Curve 8900.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the use of lines here. The diagonal is perfect for this. I love the light here as well.

It's too early for me to think of ways to look at things differently...got to wake up with my cup of coffee and some inspiration from my favorite photoblogs (like yours)!

All This Trouble... said...

I watched your spot on T.V. Very nice AND informative!

http://allthistroublejusttoleaveacomment.blogspot.com/2008/11/monumental.html

Robin said...

Gorgeous shot of the bridge Carmi. You've got a great eye and sense of composition.

Here's a visual walk around the rows in my neighborhood:

In the Neighborhood

Beverly said...

I have a new post about rows up...2 in two days, wow.

How do you put links in your comments?

Vodka Mom said...

I'm COMPLETELY distracted by your interview!! Articulate, well-educated, and damn cute.

oh, the picture. right. It was a great perspective! I wish I had a damn camera that was worth it's salt.

tommie said...

it NEVER ceases to amaze me how you can make the mundane look like modern art! I tell you, if I ever go modern in the office, I am totally going to beg you to let me purchase some mongo size prints of your shots. They seriously look like some I am drooling over in my latest West Elm catalog!

I finally managed a little giggle at your "rows" theme...I have a great one in mind though in a couple of days!

Anonymous said...

I dig this photo.
It's very calming to me...and I'm not an urban girl.