Sunday, November 30, 2008

Caption This 99

Please caption this image
[Click here for Caption This instructions]
London, ON
August 2008


It's been a few months since a good friend's beloved family heirloom found its way into our living room. Our kids have since made it their own, often spontaneously sitting down and hammering out songs that they've learned by ear.

The piano has transformed our home in many respects, as it pulls everyone's attention away from things that plug in and isolate and toward something that involves us all. It's a nice change from the ordinary, and I'm so glad the kids have an opportunity to experience it firsthand.

As you can imagine, it results in moments like this that I revel in capturing.

Your turn: Please capture this sweetly-themed picture with a witty caption (see this week's Thematic Photographic for more sweet stuff.) Just click the comment link below and have fun. Enter as often as you wish: I'll post the winner next Sunday. For more info on how Caption This works, click here.

About last week's photo of the fast food garbage bin: Profligate waste is always a sad sight, and apparently one that prompts some serious reflection as evidenced by your captions. Honorable menschens go to the following good folks:
  • Barb: "Wasted."
  • Pamela: "I'm leavin' it."
  • Bob-kat: "Junk food."
  • BreadBox: "Junked food."
  • Anne: "Remains of the day."
  • Moi: "McWaist."
Rattling The Kettle's Garbage in, garbage out takes the cake this week. I'll admit it appeals to my geeky side, but there's a subtle lesson in there, too, and it speaks to me. RTK is a California-based husband, dad, hypermiler and fabulous read. Please drop by his blog and say hi.

34 comments:

Christine Gram said...

I am immediately in love with your blog. This piano looks exactly like the one I grew up with. It was a freebie that my father fixed up and my retreat throughout my childhood.

It's a tough one to caption though. No facial expression to go on, but you can tell he's intent.

"finding his song"

Irene said...

Every Good Boy Does Fine.

Vodka Mom said...

Ooop, dropped my gum.

Anonymous said...

Hello Carmi!
"Sweet child of mine."

"The great one." (it's #99)

"Bet you can't tune a fish!"

Terri

Anonymous said...

Hi Carmi,
I was standing at the podium when Noah started to play.
I yelled, "Play Mozart, play it loudly! Rock me and my dais!"
Arther Feidler

Yaniv said...

Thanks for the kind words, Carmi.

Star said...

Heart and Soul

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Music Soothes the Savage Beast.

awareness said...

Sing us a song, you're the Piano Man....

Tickling the ivories

Heartmusic

playing with spirit

Carmi's baby grand, Noah.

An heirloom in motion

Life unplugged.

K and/or K said...

"Chopin and a tatoo. This one is going places."

spwriter said...

Play time.

Composing himself.

Awaking the muse.

The keys to happiness.

Speaking in tunes.

Making God smile.

Hammer time.

Finger painting.

"If only I had 78 more fingers..."

Dancing on ivory.

There are no wrong notes, only notes not yet played.

Terri said...

Your heirloom piano looks a lot like my heirloom piano!

Suggested captions:
"I sure hope Mom can get the salt water taffy off these keys."

"Chopsticks, schmopsticks! It's Schoenberg's Piano Suite!"

Pamela said...

Carmi's little eight note.

Anonymous said...

Promise.

~ Michelle ~ said...

Beethovens first four fingered tune... dom dom dom dom... hard to sing via keyboard... I was about that age when my father sat me at a piano similar to that and I was locked in for many hours.

Bobkat said...

Thanks for the honourable mention :)

Such a lovely little picture. He seems to be concentrating so much!

My go at a caption is:

'Rhapsody in Blue' as he's wearing a blue T-shirt and seems to be rapt :)

Sara said...

chopsticks seemed so easy to play when you're BIG

Anne said...

Can we have Chinese for dinner?

Anne said...

Hey Carmi! Will there be a party next week for #100?

lissa said...

Gorgeous composition

(started to write this as a comment but it works as a caption!)

Sticking with the musical theme, but more descriptive of the subject:

Beautiful Boy.

(Still miss John Lennon...)

Thanks for sharing, Carmi. The vulnerability of a little boy's nape is just something I cannot pass up - whenever my kids present like this, I cannot help but stroke that little nape of the neck, just to show how much I love 'em.

Happy December!

Thumper said...

I'll write the songs that make the whole world sing...

Hey it's Amy Benson said...

Oh how wonderful for your family to have a piano! Music can transform the atmosphere in your home...
Hmmm a caption... let's see.
doe-ray-me-fa-sew-la-tea-doe!

mo.stoneskin said...

"Galdangit that label is itching me."

Anonymous said...

Songs in the key of life

(know that reference?)

I'll be back with more. I'm suddenly missing Caption This terribly. Good suggestions so far, though--not sure I'll have much to add!

:)

Karen said...

Not good with captions but he looks like he could be the next Billy Joel! :o)

torontopearl said...

Duet for One. (Heart Seeks Soul)

Anonymous said...

Ok too much pressure - can't think, can't think..how about I resort to my Italian heritage and go with
Musica
:)

BreadBox said...

"The only keys Carmi is letting his children borrow for the next few years..."

N.

Anonymous said...

Gret job on this blog, I really enjoyed reading it

PastormacsAnn said...

What a wonderful photo. So simple and yet so sweet!

Caption: Music to my ears...

Unknown said...

I have to put this because I still think it to this day when I walk by a piano... it's Mary Had a Little Lamb... the fingers you use to play it... with your right hand.
"3 2 1 2 3 3 3 2 2 2 3 5 5. 3 2 1 2 3 3 3 2 2 3 2 1."
It was the way I learned to play it... lol.

Anonymous said...

Boy wonder

Tagged for fame

Joyful noise

The sound of music

God Almighty said...

"Thanks, dad! So, uhhhh...how do i turn it on?"

MorahMommy said...

Since I know this little guy personally, here it is...

"How long can I play this before I annoy my brother!"


:D