Sunday, July 15, 2007

Caption This 27


Please suggest a creative name/caption for this photo [See below for details]
London, ON, December 2006 [Click to enlarge]


Being among the minority that does not celebrate Christmas, we've never experienced the joy of waiting in line to sit on Santa's knee. So the pictures we get of this annual tradition won't be the overpriced, rent-an-elf-taken, unfocused Polaroid variety. I'll be stealing them with my own camera when no one's looking, thank you very much.

As I walked the upper floor of nearby Masonville Place (wiki) with our kids last December, I peeked over the railing and saw a very fatigued Mall Santa below. I don't know what he's being paid, but I'm sure it isn't anywhere near enough. Bless him.

I share this image now because it's July, and we'll be elbow-deep in holiday-season madness before long. I just didn't want anyone to forget how much fun it is, even for the jolly man himself.

Your turn: Please come up with a snazzy, snappy, funny caption for this image. Call your friends and have them jump into the fray, too. All denominations welcome. I'll announce the winner next week.

And the winner of last week's Caption This is....JC for this gem: "She is always picking my brains"

I took the picture so quickly that I didn't notice the funny-looking thing behind the munchkin's ear. As I reviewed it later on, I kept asking myself what mom was stuffing into his ear. This quote nailed the bizarro thoughts that hit me as I stared at this image, high up in a lonely hotel room. Please take a moment to visit JC and share a congratulatory message or two.

Not sure how Caption This is played. Click here to go back to where it all began. All shall be explained. Enjoy!

24 comments:

BreadBox said...

Christmas in July??? CHRISTMAS IN JULY????? Who the hell came up with that brilliant idea????

N.

b13 said...

You expect ME to pick that up? I can't even see my shoes!!!

utenzi said...

Just before his arrest, Santa was seen placing a candy cane on the ground and asking little girls to pick it up. He's not expected to be allowed out on his own recognizance while awaiting trial.

Michele sent me to tell one and all to beware Santa when he's not on his meds.

Hi Carmi!

Anonymous said...

So folks, is it snowing yet?

Michael K. Althouse said...

Hello?? Little help over here?

Michele sent me,

Mike

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I LOVE Santa's where little "Munchkins" as you say, can crawl up on his lap and ask for their wish for Christmas...I am not good at this captioning thing Carmi, so let me just say, I have a special post up in honor of our very own Michele. I think you wil enjoy it!

craziequeen said...

Oh dear, I'm no good at these things....but I'll keep trying...

'While Santa is on his break, the public are NOT to cross the candy cane.'

:-)

No one sent me. I heard a rumour that your new caption was up and came over to play.....

cq

Anonymous said...

It's times like these I wish I had listened to Mrs Claus and taken my glucosamine tablets...

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Santa had fallen asleep in the store grotto. No one had the heart to tell him it was July.

Michele sent me here.

Bobkat said...

I hate to say it but I think youa re right about being plunged into holiday madness as early as August and September. Although I start buying presents early, I don't start being 'Christmassy' until December. I refuse to be sucked in! It's more special if you keep it brief I think :)

As for the caption: 'Wait unbtil I catch the elf that keeps shrinking my walking stick!'.

Michele sent me to play which is good as I was overdue a visit :) I have just put up my first post about the air show I went to yesterday if you are interested :)

Bobkat said...

Actually Michele didn't send me, but I was just there and decided I should come over and see you!

Charles Caldwell said...

I think Crazie Queen gets the prize... I laughed pretty hard at the one! However, had I not laughed I would have written, "That candy cane just jumped out of the drawer... the candy canes are coming to get me... THE CANDY CANES! Lions and tigers and CANDY CANES. OH NO!"

Pat said...

'If that damned dog pees on my boots one more time...'

BTW no more sitting on Santa's knees in the UK - health and safety!
Have a great week Carmi!

Bobkat said...

"Come on Patch, fetch!"

Michele sent me back for another go :)

Thumper said...

The doctor told Santa he should use a cane, but he could not fathom what good it would do.

Sara said...

Hi Carmi, Michele sent me! But then, I am here everytime you update! Thanks for the cool comment you left for me...

Oh, I am terrible at captioning! Headlines, too! They were the bane of my existance in college! But, I'll try...

"I don't think I can take it if another kid kicks my chin."

Sara said...

Oops...I forgot to tell you - I just posted some more photos of White River Junction...

Anna said...

For the record....we dont do the whole sit on Santa's lap thing....it just makes the truth that much darker in the end...

AND we hate the lines! :)

See you Carmi!

Chad Oneil Myers said...

"Well, it's a slow night at this mall again. Hey kid! You forgot your stupid candycane!...Kids these days, they don't appreciate anything."

-Grumpy Mall Santa

Sara said...

you forgot your candy cane

Sara said...

co-worker thought:

Santa: "219, 220, 221"

Elf: "where did you want these presents?"

Santa: "anywhere, can't you see I'm counting, oh where was I? Shoot, I'll have to start over, 1"

Nestor Family said...

"I'd pick up that candy cane, but... be kind. I am still carrying a little holiday weight."

Anonymous said...

"When no one's looking. That candy cane is mine."

This is so funny to look at with it being +30 degree weather where I am!

JC said...

I'll need much more than a cane to get up out of this chair!

Going for three, Carmi... I, very much, enjoy your blog!