Sunday, July 08, 2007

Caption This 26


Please give this picture a name and/or caption [See below for how this works]
Shanghai, China, May 2007 [Click image to enlarge]


Sometimes, the best way to capture impromptu photos when visiting a faraway or otherwise new-to-you place is to simply walk and shoot. No need to overthink the composition: just point your camera at whatever captures your eye. You can figure out meanings and settings later on.

Which is what I did as I walked along the riverfront in Shanghai. It was a hot and humid afternoon, and I was, as usual, lagging behind my very patient and understanding group of colleagues. And as I saw this image of a family out for a walk by the water, I knew it was a keeper. In this case, one shot was all it took. Now it's your turn to name it.

Your turn: Please come up with a caption or title for this photo. Post it in a comment. Post as many captions as you wish: I give props to multiple-submitters. I'll post the winner next week. Need to refresh on the Caption This rules? Click here.

About last week's winner: The picture of two servicemen sitting atop their Hercules transport plane piqued a lot of response. Awareness takes it with, "Stan and Joe opted for the economy tickets. Little did they know it was more than surviving without complimentary nuts." If you haven't seen her site, you're missing out on one multitalented Canadian.

One more thing: It's been half a year since I started Caption This. I didn't really think it would last as it has....I don't typically stick with regular features on my blog. But this one seems to have hit a bit of a nerve, and I'm really enjoying the week-to-week progression. I hope you are, too.

14 comments:

BreadBox said...

"Just click here and the new 200x model takes a photograph"

BreadBox said...

and of course,.... Hello, Michele sent me....

Peter said...

Hi Carmi, just a very belated thanks for visiting poetry galore, my email notifications are not coming through.
Caption;
Come on , smile for me ... we can't squat here forever.

Anonymous said...

"Please don't! I really do not have an earache!"


michele insists that I keep on visiting your blog...:D

CynAnn said...

Love knows no international bounds.

They look so happy. I'm glad you posted this picture Carmi
and I voted for you on Bloggers Choice awards! :)

Anonymous said...

"if I just push this through this ear, do you think it will come out the other side?"
"maybe, but it makes me sick to look at it so I will smile at the camera instead ..."

awareness said...

Hi Carmi....Hurray! Thank you for such kind words.... :)

As for this pic? Well.......I thought at first the woman was sticking a straw into the child's ear until I enlarged it and saw that she's holding onto a blanket or a cape.........so I will go with the cape idea.....

"The early years of the caped crusader."

D.O.M. Dan said...

My caption: "Mom, quit trying to wrap that thing around me and check out that thing over there!"

craziequeen said...

Wow - that's a toughie....

Fantastic picture, Carmi - but hard to captionise.......

'And gentlemen, I remove the magic blanket and voila! One toddler....!!'

Michele sent me today, my friend. But I'm always loitering at WrittenInc.

cq

chrysalis said...

It's actually 10 cooler than predicted today. And pouring rain. So I'm at home watching Absolutely Fabulous on DVD in the air conditioning (because 10 degrees or no, it's still freaking hot out).

Hi from Michele's.

Unknown said...

"I TOLD you if you keep eating watermelon seeds they would grow a plant that comes right out of you ears!"

That pesky Michele sent me!

Jennifer said...

I have absolutely no creativity!! I don't even attempt these things!!! I think it's funny, though, it looks like she's trying to dig something out of his ear, but everyone else looks perfectly normal. I would have never noticed this...you have an awesome eye to find the things you do!! I'm humbled by your abilities!!
Michele sent me, although you're in my Bloglines and I at least look at your posts every single day! :)

JC said...

She is always picking my brain!

jsdaughter said...

"Time to charge up the baby...Is there where we plug her in??"
OK-- I'm not good at captions lol! Always a pleasure to see your photos Carmi!