Friday, July 20, 2007

Chatting on the telly

When I decided to leave my old job (see here and here) one of my key goals for the next phase of my career was to maintain the ability to be a trusted resource for journalists looking for expert tech commentary.

(If you're just joining us, I used to be a senior analyst for a tech research firm. I'm also a journalist. So when the opportunity to be quoted by tech writers came along, I jumped at the chance. Eventually, I got into some really neat places, including the CBS Evening News, the New York Times, and CTV's Canada AM. Once I became a media darling, I decided I enjoyed the process, and didn't want to stop being one after I left the research company. I'm childish that way.)

So part of my transition to my new role included a media component. I've been reaching out to the journos with whom I've worked, letting them know that I still do this. The good news is that the phone's ringing fairly regularly, and I continue to have some great discussions with some great media folks. I wish everyone loved his/her work as much as I love mine.

Sorry, rambling here. Long story short, I was on television again today, discussing the current and projected state of the cell phone/handset market now that all the major vendors have announced their quarterly earnings. Between Nokia, Motorola, Sony-Ericsson and Samsung, it's like the business equivalent of the circus, and I get to have a front-row seat.

I spoke with Marty Cej of the business news network, and if you're ever wanted to see what I look and sound like on live television, click here for a look.

Other recent coverage includes two pieces by Richard Martin in InformationWeek, a major U.S. tech publication:
Interestingly, I did the interview for the China story from the beach alongside Lake Huron in Grand Bend. I used my Motorola Q to do some additional research on the web and file a detailed response back to the writer via e-mail. It was a textbook example of how technology changes the way we work. It was very cool, and I did a little happy dance when I was done. Then I put my Q away and stopped playing with it because I didn't want to tick off my wife.

Jeff Jedras of ITbusiness.ca also interviewed me for his piece on Canadian software vendor, Corel:
Your turn: What cell phone do you have? What do use it for? Does it do the job for you or is it deficient in some way?

8 comments:

BreadBox said...

My phone is a samsung x-something: basic fliptop. It does the job mostly -- I'd like a camera in it, but it's not a big deal - except for the fact that the phone switches itself off if I have it in a pocket. Very frustrating.

So, going on tv is how you celebrate having your wife back in town?

N.

Carli N. Wendell said...

A typical boring, regular cell phone. And some ice cream melted into the place where you plug in the charger, so it's hard to charge. But it does gets the job done. I use it as my primary phone and couldn't even tell you my land line number. I also use it to text message Google whenever I need a phone number. (It's also good for movie listings, addresses, etc.)

craziequeen said...

hehe - aincher just such a handsome well-spoken chap :-)

Seriously, you interview really well, to an uninformed spectator you know your stuff and you made it as interesting as the subject can be :-)

I had to smile, I have a Motorola RAZR V3i :-)
I desperately wanted a RAZR V3im last year (it had an itune capability), but Moto took it off the shelves only a couple of months after putting it on the market. But I see it's back on the Motorola website now.

What do I want in a phone? More colours! When I got my upgrade to RAZRV3i I asked what other colours it came in than Pewter, and they said none! :-((

I'm going back to Pay as you Go anyway, 'cos I don't use the phone enough to warrant £30 ($65 CAD) a month contract for a couple of texts.

cq

... Paige said...

I have a Razor, I make phone calls and receive phone calls on it. That is all I need and it does fine.

utenzi said...

Michele sent me over, Carmi.

Sorry I'm a little late. I watched your vid piece all the way through. I really haven't paid attention to the cell phone market in years so everything you said was new to me. I also had no idea that Canada was lagging the rest of the world so much in coverage and pricing of data plans. Ouch.

I LOVE my cell phone. I gave up my landline within a month of getting my cell phone 4 years ago. I've still got my original cell phone--it's a Motorola flip-top, pretty basic model. I have no interest in bells-and-whistles but since I'll probably be updating my phone later this year I might have to get something more sophisticated. Damn.

That was a great analysis on the cell phone and integrated data market, Carmi. Damn, you're good.

Anonymous said...

I have to go on for a little here- this subject is on my mind lately:
I had a LG6100 which I loved except it didn't play music, once the mp3 phones started coming out I was dissatisfied & felt like I had to have one. So in May when my contract renewal came up I got a Kyocera kx5 slider, it's fairly new & very obviously buggy (sometimes the keyguard works sometimes it doesn't, sometimes the schedule alarms I set go off as normal, sometimes they don't- never a problem with the LG-) I have yet to find a memory card which works with the kx5, I've purchased 2 & both the phone rejected, so after 3 months I still have not used the phone as an mp3 player.
My 17 year old inherited my LG & she still loves it!

Chad Oneil Myers said...

I hope you've checked out my recent two posts about cell phones as well.

Chad Oneil Myers said...

Cool interview.

Lots of talk about "sexy handsets" ;)

...I use a "Motorola". I usually buy for price not so much for what the latest gagets are.