Sunday, July 22, 2007

Caption This 28


Please come up with a creative caption for this photo [Read on for instructions]
London, ON, June 2007

I captured this image at my daughter's track meet last month. I've always been captivated by running tracks because they represent places of intense competition, where long periods of training come down to a few seconds of truth, where relatively few people reach the top and pretty much everyone else goes home empty-handed.

I thought the pylons' placement was saying something, but I couldn't quite figure out what that "something" was. Can you?

Your turn: Click on the Comments link and leave as many witty, funny and brilliant captions for this image as you wish. Is your long-lost cousin also hankering for some Sunday enjoyment? Bonus points if you bring him/her along as well.

One more thing: Please click here for details on how Caption This is played. Last week's top-down image of Santa garnered a sleigh-full of superb responses. The ever-brilliant Craziequeen coined this lovely phrase: "While Santa is on his break, the public are NOT to cross the candy cane" and in doing so takes the prize. Well, there is no prize, per se, beyond my deepest thanks for making this such a joyous highlight of the week.

Other gems were submitted by b13 ("You expect ME to pick that up? I can't even see my shoes!!!"), Ms. Pretend ("It's times like these I wish I had listened to Mrs Claus and taken my glucosamine tablets..."), Bob-kat ("Wait until I catch the elf that keeps shrinking my walking stick!"), Joy ("When no one's looking. That candy cane is mine.") and Heidi ("I'd pick up that candy cane, but... be kind. I am still carrying a little holiday weight.") It was a great week in Caption This-land. Thank you all for participating, and good luck with #28!

24 comments:

utenzi said...

Shuffling slowly across the track, the orange alien visitors from Andromeda had a sinking feeling of impending doom...

OldLady Of The Hills said...

What are doing up so late---early, Carmi...Can't sleep? And I se Utenzi is up too....The Time Zones are all screwed up! (lol)

I haven't a thought in my head, my dear..But, as you know, I'm not good at this Captioning thingy..!
BUT, I always love coming here and seeing what you are up to...!
Michele sent me this early A.M.

craziequeen said...

woohoo!! I win! I win!! :-)
[does Chandler Dance]

ok - caption about a bollard (pylon)...? [

"Ladies and gentlemen, please keep your eyes on the bollard - and prepare yourselves!"

hmm - for what, I wonder...?

cq

Catherine said...

I always admire the clever captions that other people submit, but I've yet to think up anything that isn't totally lame, myself.
I'll come back to see what others come up with

M. CHRISTOPHE said...

Today on my daily photo Blog about the Town of Château-Gontier (France) my subject is about humanism.
It is high time that humanism is with dimensions in Wall Street and on the other stock exchange places in the world.
Come and visit my photo blog.
Make that our indifference does not make us to them next victims.
Relay this fight in your own blog.
In advance thank you for them.
http://chateau-gontier-daily-photo.blogspot.com/

kenju said...

Lane two is closed for renovations.

David Edward said...

the curves remind me of sailing, but then everything reminds me of sailing. the pilon becomesa rounding mark ( bouy) its all downwind from here, mate!

David Edward said...

here from Michele

Bernie said...

As they make the final turn, it's the coneheadss in the lead!!!

Herefrom Michele's, but playing out of turn... ;) (Shh, don't tell her!!) I missed coming to you all weekend!

JC said...

I heard it's lonely at the top... but I don't think we will ever know...

D.O.M. Dan said...

Embarrassed that he missed the starting gun, Mr. Conehead stood still and hoped no one would notice him.

Anonymous said...

Bottom Pylon: "You know, if you guys would just get off my back, I would have a better chance of finishing this race".

Came from Joy's blog a couple times. Fun contest.

Sara said...

Where did you say the starting blogs should go?

Linda said...

The world's largest all-day sucker requires cones to direct the tongue traffic...

Linda said...

uh...don't know if my comment got there (hit next too quickly)...if it did, disregard this one!

But my caption was:

The world's largest all-day sucker requires cones to direct the tongue.

Anonymous said...

I have no caption to offer, though as soon as I submit this comment I'm sure the brain will be flooded with them.

I really just came to say hi, because I haven't in a while.

So.
Hi.

scrappintwinmom said...

Damn, I always want to be witty. I never come up with anything good. I guess I'll just say 'hi' and hope you're having a good weekend!

Sara said...

My co-worker suggestes:

"Stop, Stop, Stop everything, there's an obstruction in lane 2"

Sara said...

My flatmate says,

"After the gun shot was sounded, all that was left one one lonely cone"

MsT said...

The garden gnomes were able to move about unnoticed once they removed their caps and stacked them neatly on the track.

awareness said...

As every little pylon knows, they have to "cone" their little league skills before they are considered for the "show".....creating those 8 lane traffic jams at rush hour.

Tracey said...

I love this picture. Being a track and field runner so many things are running through my head. I can only hear what would be announced at the track meet. "Volunteers, please set track for next race." or "Runners, you can cut to the first lane after the orange cones."
sooooo...... I'm not creative but it just gives me great memories, thanks!

Beverly said...

Oh, I am so unimaginative, but I wanted to say hi...

"A little closer, and I would have had a bulls-eye."

Anonymous said...

LOL as a Starter for Athletics Alberta I could tell you what those pylons are most likely for, but I'm having more fun reading everyone's take on what they think the caption should be. Love these 'name the caption' posts!