Monday, July 23, 2007

Green, wet pole


Droplets
London, ON, July 2007 [Click to zoom in]


I believe we are a species that thrives on touch. Handshakes, pats on the back and hugs can turn our mood around in a blink.

The irony of photography is that it is anti-touch, Consider that the photographic print can be damaged by sticky, oily little fingers. Consider that we've long kept our prints stored in plastic sleeves within thick albums. No kids allowed.

Yet as I look at pictures like this, I think that touch can be a part of photography after all. When I see textures like this, I imagine what they would feel like. This pole, which sits in the middle of the new splash pad at Gibbons Park here in London, would probably be delightfully cool on a hot summer's day. I think the water on my fingertips would make me smile.

Right now, it's only a picture. But imagining the reality suggests that pictures can touch us in all sorts of ways. So I guess I'll just have to take more.

Your turn: Am I being silly here or does this touchy-feely photographic thinking have merit?

10 comments:

Leanne said...

Actually, and I know I'm going to sound like a curious 5 year old, but if I were a kid, I'd lick it. The cool blue background and fresh paint look of the pole make it seem totally safe, cool and refreshing to me.

kenju said...

That would be my tendency too, Leanne.

MsT said...

An interesting question. I think touch comes alive for me more through words than photos. It was your description of the photo more than the sight of the photo that created the connection for me.
Oh - thank you for the reminder that I got lost in your blog last night and left without saying hello! How rude of me :x Next time I will bring coffee cake and raspberry lemonade :)

Jamie Dawn said...

I agree with you. I almost want to lick that pole! :-)
Your photos are always great, and your commentary is always thoughtful and interesting.
I'm heading out to the airport in just a few minutes for my vacation. I will stop by here again when I get a chance.

D.O.M. Dan said...

Yes, I think it does have merit. This picture, like many that you’ve posted, gets my imagination working. In this case, I can glide my fingers across the pole and feel how smooth the surface is. I’m seeing the image with my eyes, yet touching it with my mind.

David Edward said...

quite possibly you have lost the little remaining of your mind...

awareness said...

photography is multi-sensory....i showed my son this pic. At first he thought it was a piece of grass and when he stated that I swear I could sniff the scent of cut grass!!

It's an inviting picture....and knowing it is part of a splash pad....I want to touch the cold drips of water.....

A photo that speaks to me is an interactive piece of art.....the colours and imagery pop out 3 dimensionally.


you're right....we do thrive on touch.....some more than others.

Mike Wood said...

I like finding tactile things to shoot. Like pitted and rusty door handles. or goosebumps.

Being able to, or finding the viewer wanting to reach out n touch a pic means it's a good pic. :)

Mike

Anonymous said...

That is a tempting photograph. It brought out sensual images into my mind.

Anonymous said...

I look at this picture and I instantly think of the thing I like most....rain. And I rub my fingers together because I know, in person, I would be feeling that nice cool rain on my hands.