Friday, July 06, 2007

Woody and curved


Timeless design
St. Thomas, Ontario, June 2007 [Click to enlarge]


I took a quick time out from craning my neck at the airplanes to catch a glimpse or two of the lovely old cars that were on display on the flight line. The vehicles provided a nostalgic backdrop to the raw display of testosterone-driven power, and gave air show attendees a chance to slow things down for a minute before the next act took to the skies.

I found this woody wagon in the shade of a U.S. Navy training aircraft. Its sinuous curves and rich surfaces reminded me that beautiful designs are timeless, and we as a society are so intent on pursuing the Next Big Thing that we don't spend enough time seeing where we've come from. Pity that, because we might learn something about ourselves if we took the time.

Your turn: Is nostalgia all it's cracked up to be?

10 comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Ain't that the truth! We can learn a lot when we look back at where we came from, and not all of it's as scary as it seems at first.

Michele sent me this time!

D.O.M. Dan said...

I think we can all benefit by paying a visit to the land of nostlgia from time to time.

Michael K. Althouse said...

Oh absolutely. Just a quick read through my archives would reveal at least that about me.

Michele sends her best,

Mike

Anna said...

It certainly is as long as you are living in the present! I love this shot Carmi....the curves are beautiful.

Have a great weekend there and I hope that your and the Mrs had a nice anniversary! :)

Paul Nichols said...

That, sir, is a picture! Excellent, nostalgic, beautiful... Great shot. Thanks for sharing.

Here from Michele's tonight. And, oh, by the way: Happy Anniversary.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Before I forget, Carmi...HAPPY HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to you and your lovely wife!

When I was growing up we had a "station wagon" that was wood and metal, sinilar to this one....I have very fond memories of it and you are so right...Great Designs are Classic and Timeless, like this one!

Humor Girl said...

Great pic! Thanks for stopping by. :) I'll be back.

tommie said...

I finally realized your shots remind me of Miksang photography.....flickr has an entire group of these type of shots.

rashbre said...

Lovely car. Nostalgically, There used to a Joke about 'even the cars in Britain are half-timbered' but I see it is so in other parts of the world too.

rashbre

MorahMommy said...

I love your pictures. I like that I look at things differently. Hmmm...that would be a good picture or Carmi would love to take a picture of this. :-)

Michele sent me, but I would have been here anyway!