Sunday, July 01, 2007

Caption This 25


Please think up a clever caption/title for this photo [details below]
St. Thomas, Ontario, June 2007 [Click to enlarge]


These two crew members are winding down on top of their C-130E Hercules after spending the day showing countless visitors - including my children - the ins and outs of their fantastic machine. I used my long lens to pick off this image without them ever knowing I was there. Please start thinking of an appropriate caption or title for this photo. More on this in a bit, but first some housekeeping:

Last week's Caption This image of a geometric subdivision taken from the sky garnered lots of interest. Courtney takes it for her gem, "I hate playing Monopoly with my Dad." David merits special mention for his "Sheep Think." Dave gets my eternal thanks for "Levy-town" and Roxanne is my hero for digging up Little Boxes, the poem by Malvina Reynolds that came to mind as I tripped the shutter.

As an aside, I studied this poem in high school under an English teacher who taught me for four years and never missed an opportunity to push my buttons. I hated her then, but eventually realized that she saw my potential as a writer and didn't want me to let it lie fallow. I find it fascinating how a picture that slipped past my scratched plastic aircraft window in a blink could evoke such powerful memories.

Your turn: Please come up with a caption for this photo. I can't promise fame or fortune, but it'll be a neat process regardless. I'll post the winner next Sunday. Not sure what Caption This is all about? Click here.

One more thing: It's Canada Day today. I'm going to don some appropriately-themed red-and-white clothing and spend the day with a very excited brood of little people who look a bit like me. The kids really love this holiday, and my wife and I are going to find some family-friendly way to remember the day. Monday's a statutory holiday as well, so I'll write about the holiday in earnest tomorrow. For now, it's party time in the Great White North, eh.

32 comments:

Bernie said...

With all of this avgas around, lets start some fireworks... Got a light?

Here from Michele's this afternoon...

twobuyfour said...

What a wonderful blog. Good pictures. Well written. Quite enjoyable. I'll be back.

As to the caption, how about: "How long does it say to let the glue dry? Vertical stablizer just about fell off last time because we didn't wait long enough."

HRH Courtney, Queen of Everything said...

Thanks, Carmi!
Happy Canada Day to you; we're gearing up for the 4th south of your border. Here's to lovely weather and time with friends.

kenju said...

Mike and Bill had always wanted to try wing-walking, but they were too tired to walk.

(LAME, I know).

Happy Canada Day, Carmi!

Anonymous said...

"Whew...flying this puppy is easier than doing tours."
Michele says hi......

Carli N. Wendell said...

Wait. . . where'd the ladder go?

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Happy Canada Day, Carmi!

As for a caption, try this one: I thought YOU were bringing the beer!

(oops. This is my official Michele visit)

craziequeen said...

Happy Canada Day, my sweet friend.

hmm - caption.......

'Dude? Wasn't that that Csrmi Levy chap with those three kids? You know, that world famous photographer....? Wonder if he'll want to take our photo?'

[snigger]

cq

D.O.M. Dan said...

Do you suppose if we joined the Navy, we'd be sitting on a boat right now instead?

Lisa said...

"I knew these cheaper plane tickets were too good to be true!"

Hi there Carmi! Happy Canada Day!
(michele sent me today!)

Linda said...

So, did YOU ask for the window seat too?

diyadear said...

happy canada day :)

Anonymous said...

Hi there from Michele's! Thank you for saying hello on my blog last night :)

I've missed being in the blogosphere!

Oh good grief, 25 minutes of thinking really hard and I can't come up with a decent caption, so I officially give up. I tried thinking of references to airport security, Snakes on a Plane, The Twilight Zone (There's a man on the wing of the plane!), and even Top Gun, but couldn't think of a single witty thing to say.

Sorry! LOL

OldLady Of The Hills said...

"That's the biggest Micraphone I've Ever Seen!"

Well, that's the first thing that came to mind....LOL! I love this picture...the colors are wonderful...!

Thank you Carmi...Yes, it does take a lot of time...I guess that is why I don't post every day...LOL...I would never be off this computer!

I look so forward to your review of THAT phone, my dear....

Shannon akaMonty said...

I only wish I were creative enough to come up with a caption for this gorgeous picture!
Caption contests are like school tests to me--I completely freeze up and my mind is a blank filled with white noise. :)

But I do loves me some Carmi pics.

Here from Michele's today!!

Tracey said...

"Do you hear the Top Gun theme?"

Thats all I got! Great picture. Thanks for the comments on my Maine pictures. I love my Nikon. Just got it back from a sensor clean. Got a new camera bag, filter etc...
I'm leaning a lot from your pictures.

Anonymous said...

How about.."I just had to get away from all those kids." "Yeah, me too, and did you see that guy with the camera?"

I love the airshow pictures Carmi. Happy Canada Day!

Jennifer said...

Happy Canada Day to you and yours.

b13 said...

I've always loved the video of this bird dropping flares. Showing the enemy the path to heaven and supplying the angel to guide them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs1o4CUXRYc

b13 said...

Oh, the caption...

"I told my wife I went fishing... how about you?"

utenzi said...

"I figure with all this beer we're drinking, when those jet engines fire up one fart and we'll be on the moon!"

Sorry this took so long, Carmi. I got a phone call just after I posted on Michele's--which, by the way, is where I came from!

Happy Canada Day!!

awareness said...

Stan and Joe opted for the economy tickets. Little did they know it was more than surviving without complimentary nuts.

JP (mom) said...

I liked Dana's (Awareness) comment & the other's are brilliant too!! I'm too tired to come up with my own, but brilliant photograph. Peace, JP

VinceL said...

Caption: "What do you mean 'Did you grab the keys?'"

:)
Vince

Sara said...

"What do you reckon, we fly this bad boy outta here in about 5?"

Sara said...

co-worker says, "thank goodness that's over with"

Sara said...

co-worker 2 says, "man I wish I was in the blue angels"

Anonymous said...

This is your idea of a "conference table"?

Anonymous said...

"Trade me seats? Mine has a tail in the way."

Anonymous said...

Hey, do you have any ketchup to go with these fries?

Sara said...

"I thought we asked for window, seats, not wing seats"

JC said...

If they don't deliver in 30 minutes or less, it's free...