Thursday, September 20, 2007

Clouds gather before nightfall


Clouds and sun from a hospital parking lot
London, Ontario, September 2007


The scene:
September 10, 6:48 p.m. London Health Sciences Centre parking lot.

It's already been a long day. It's been a shade under 5 hours since our phone rang with news that our son had been hurt. After dropping the two younger munchkins and the dog off at our friends' house, I've returned to the hospital with a backpack full of snacks and other stuff for what promises to be a long night in the ER.

Inexplicably, I have my camera bag with me. I'm not sure why: it's not as if I can shoot pictures inside the hospital. But the battered blue bag is an adult's version of a security blanket. It feels normal, comforting to have it slung over my shoulder.

So as I get out of the car and start walking toward the hospital, I pause and stare at the thick clouds obscuring the setting sun. It's just a quick moment, but I decide that later on, I'll want to remember what it felt like to stand there at that precise point in time. So I take the camera out and snap off the only picture I dare take that day.

Your turn: Do you try to remember quiet moments in the midst of chaos? Why?

9 comments:

Melody said...

What a great photo!

I can't honestly say if I do remember quiet moments in the midst of chaos, because it has been a while since things have been that way for me *knock on wood*... It is good that you took a moment and when you look at the photo you can remember why and when you took this photo...

Have a great weekend. I hope your son is okay now - I'm sure a backpack full of goodies helped. I'm here via Michele today...

Shan said...

I think you're more likely to remember the quiet moments with some degree of accuracy than the chaotic ones.

-E said...

I, too, hope your son is ok. And it is a beautiful picture. I remember the quiet moments in chaos. Some of them almost seem inappropriate memories. They certainly felt awkward as they were happening, yet somehow still right.

Michele sent me, I hope you have a nice weekend.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Those quiet moments are the only thing that keep me sane, Carmi. We need them to regroup and be able to cope with what's in front of us.

Hope you find some of those quiet moments in services tonight/tomorrow.

Crazy Single Mom said...

I am always searching for that "grounding Place" when things go wrong. Many times I find it. My dad is ill, and will not be getting better. yet when I go to visit him, I sit there, when he has no strength for conversation, and it's enough just to be there. I think of all the good times with him, and that grounds me. No matter what we are going through now, and even though the end is not far off, I still have those memories, and so does he. That is my grounding place now. I love that pic!

Karen said...

Hi Carmi! Great photo. I just thought I'd check back in and see how your son is doing. I'm sure by now he's well-adjusted to the cast and the attention, or lack thereof. Hang in there - he'll do fine.

Just wanted to stop and say hi. Hope you're well.

awareness said...

Chaos found me today unfortunately and will be in search of solace tonight.

Great photo......quite applicable to the stormy work situation I continue to find myself in.

Ah,,,,,,but it's FRIDAY! Praise the stormy heavens!!

Michele sent me to say hi to you Carmi........and I say hi too. TGIF!

Anonymous said...

Hello, Michele sent me.

Seems like forever since I've been here. Maybe I should change that.

We're expecting a big storm here tonight so I imagine I'll see similar clouds from my window. May even get a few pictures between coats of paint (painting the bathroom this week/weekend)

SJ said...

Another beautiful photo. Great shot.