Monday, October 27, 2008

Birthday cake delayed


I scream, you scream. We all scream for ice cream. Cake.
London, ON, October 2008


This is the Dairy Queen ice cream cake that we bought for Zach's birthday. I didn't spend my usual amount of time fawning over it with my lens. No tripod in the middle of the kitchen. No shushing the munchkins while I composed one artsy perspective after another. No collective holding of the breath waiting for the camera to finish doing its thing.

It was a bit abbreviated this year. Birthday boy was still feeling blue (see here for more) so I stuck to a few hasty pictures before my wife lit the candles and hurriedly brought it to our waiting, tired man-boy (boy-man?)

There's always next year.

Your turn: Make a wish. What is it?

One more thing: Thank you all for your very kind birthday wishes. He's quite tickled that you'd all take the time to share such sweet thoughts with him. He was home from school again today, still sick. A second visit to the doc netted a new prescription and an appointment for a chest x-ray tomorrow. I want to talk to the people who said this parenthood thing would be a snap.

Oops, I lied. Make that two: It's a happy birthday cake, which explains the rather tenuous connection to this week's Thematic Photographic theme, happy. Such cleverness, eh? Head over here to share your vision of happiness. And if you haven't captioned yet, please click here to roll the literary dice.

7 comments:

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

I simply LOVE this for "happy!" Belated b-day wishes to your son. Hope he is feeling up to par very soon. Oh, and where the hell is the parenting instruction booklet? I have been looking and looking, but can't seem to find one! Ahhhh!

Leora said...

Oh, I'm just going to wish Zach feels better really, really soon.

Parenting is the hardest job I've ever had.

Joan said...

Isn't it funny that the one thing in life that doesn't come with instructions is a child? Keeping with the theme, I would wish for every child to be granted a family as loving and supportive as yours. :)

PS - thanks for your comment on my blog. I'm still playing catch-up with yours and a few others, I'm afraid. But I've missed keeping up with you all and hope I'll be able to manage better now!

Nestor Family said...

I, too, am wishing that Zach feels better soon to enjoy the birthday cake and more!

lissa said...

While I can appreciate the "one more one-more-thing" clarification...aren't ice cream/cake/ice cream cake just synonymous with "happy" anyway?

Or is it just me..?

Happily yours,
Lissa ;-)

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

Hope Zach feels better soon........we want a "happy Zach" by the next happy post :)

Irene said...

Happy Belated Birthday to your son!