Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Wordless Wednesday - The sky's the limit

Swing kid
London, ON
July 2008
Attention Thematic Photographic folks: This picture is the last in our kids theme first posted last Wednesday. If you'd like to share a kid-themed photo, please click here to dive in (and, yes, if you're here for Wordless Wednesday, you're absolutely welcome to join in the Thematic insanity.) If you're curious about the new theme, coming Wednesday night, please scroll to the bottom of this message.
The sun was fading behind the treeline as I gathered up the kids from the neighborhood playground and we began the short walk home. They slowly dragged themselves away from the swings and the climbers and chattered amongst themselves as we made our way out of the park.

A group of older kids - tweens or early teens, maybe - had arrived and one of them seemed to be attempting to break free of gravity. I could hear the rusty chains protesting the abuse as the group faded into the distance. I wheeled around and grabbed this last silhouetted image before we continued on our way.

Your turn: Our next Thematic Photographic theme is grounded. If it has anything remotely to do with the ground, we want to see it. Considering it's something we stand or sit on pretty much constantly, I'm sure you'll all once again come up with some neat interpretations of the theme. Entry will be posted at 7:00 p.m. ET sharp Wednesday. I invite you to come back then and share a photo or link. In the meantime, we're still accepting submissions for last week's kids theme.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool shot - and quite the opposite of grounded, isn't it?

Happy WW!

awareness said...

great photo Carmi.....it exudes freedom.

I will be posting a kid theme piece tomorrow morning.....for my daughter who turns 15 tomorrow.

kenju said...

Carmi, that is a great photo on several levels!!

Dianne - Bunny Trails said...

Awesome catch, Carmi! The colors are beautiful and make the silhouette that much better. It looks like she's going to take off somewhere far, far away!

Mojo said...

What a beautiful shot. As you might call it, "pitch perfect". Just the raw feeling of elan it brings.

And backlighting... it's perfect for it.

BlogBlast for Peace - 11.6.2008

Barbara said...

Oh, what memories that photo brings back! That could just as well have been me at that age. Great shot and I really like the way the girl's silhouette fits into the curves of the trees'.

Unknown said...

I got one!!!! The next one not the kids. Check it out over at my blog!!!

Anonymous said...

I love silhouette shots ;-) and the sky was so beautiful too.

smarmoofus said...

Such an active and weightless shot. And that's a lovely backdrop of sky.

-smarmoofus

Red Lotus Mama said...

What a gorgeous sunset! The detail in the motion is amazing.

Happy WW: http://tinyurl.com/4rpczf

Anonymous said...

This looks really nice. The silouhette is really amazing!

Happy WW!

Anonymous said...

This is lovely. I agree with awareness. It really does capture the meaning of freedom, especially that kind of carefree spirit that we only really experience in childhood.

Robin said...

Gravity-defying indeed, and the black against the sunset is just beautiful.

Grounded, huh? Hmmm...

Anonymous said...

That's a very cool shot! Love the background!:) Mine is posted HERE. Happy WW!~

earthlingorgeous said...

Wow! This is a very nice silhouette action photo!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

Gretchen said...

Very interesting shot!

Not Your Aunt B said...

I like the silhouette. And the photo of your daughter on Tuesdays post is beautiful- I like her expression. Happy WW.

Not Afraid to Use It said...

I love that it is more of a silhouette. Great photo, as always! I'll try to come back for your thematic photos. It sounds like so much fun, but the day always gets away from me.

Mojo said...

Hey for once I'm ahead of the curve! When I caught the prompt for Thematic 19, I knew immediately where my first shot was coming from, so...

Thematic Photographic 19: "Grounded"

Indigo Children said...

gorgeous. you always seem to have your camera available at just the right moment.

Indigo Children said...

Gorgeous. You seem to always have your camera at the right moment.

I did not notice the swing at first; I thought she might be jumping on a trampoline -- caught in midair by the camera. The swing is even better.

swinging from childhood to adolescence -- great shot

Anonymous said...

What a cool picture! Worthy of a frame! Enjoy your day!

Beverly said...

What a great shot, Carmi.

Holly Schwendiman said...

Love it! The silhouette and sky colors are brilliant.

Hugs,
Holly

photowannabe said...

This is a real prize winner Carmi.
It says Freedom to me. Love the hair flying against a gorgeous sky.