Sunday, October 05, 2008

Caption This 91


Please caption this image
[Click here for ins
tructions on how Caption This works]
London, ON, October 2008 [Click all photos to enlarge]

Quick note: This week's Caption This supports the latest Thematic Photographic theme, kids. Got a kid-related pic? No matter how bizarre, we want to see it! Click here to get started.
Our toaster oven died this week. Unfortunately, it chose to not go quietly. Its timer failed, which resulted in it swiftly and thoroughly igniting itself, its contents, and very nearly our house. Two days after it sent flames shooting up the front of our kitchen cabinets, I'm still smelling smoke when I walk into the house.

Thankfully, no one was injured in the filming of this Levy family vignette. Unbelievably, there isn't so much as a mark anywhere near where the old toaster once lived. We're incredibly lucky, and we all know it.

So we decided it was time to give up on the toaster oven form factor once and for all. I've lost count of how many we've had since we got married (I know, I kill small appliances. Report me to the authorities. But I digress...)

Since we only use the thing to toast bagels and bread, we decided to replace it with a conventional 4-slice toaster. After an intense bout of online research and extensive family discussions around the kitchen table, Debbie and I picked up a lovely, retro-style unit with a working timer. I checked. Twice.

Breakfast this morning was a memorable event. I swear if I had known that a $60 toaster would get our slowly recovering son so excited about toast, I would have bought it months ago. Here, he waits for the first slice to come out of his flameless new toaster. As ever, I need your help naming/captioning the photo of our son and his new appliance (I included the other pics for context only.)

Your turn: Please suggest a creative caption for the photo at the top of this entry. You can enter as many times as you wish over the next week. I'll announce the winner next Sunday. Wagering isn't permitted, but pestering your in-laws for an idea or two certainly is. Most importantly, have fun with it - that's the whole idea of Caption This! The rules, such as they are, are here.

About last week's self-portrait shadow pic: I don't take many pictures of myself, so when I do, I try to make 'em stand out a little. It was the end of a late afternoon with the kids at the playground. I was letting them run themselves ragged in the vain hope that they'd sleep well that night. Didn't happen - and, frankly, never does - but it was worth a shot. While they played in the sand, I played with light. Here are this week's honorable menschens:
  • Terri: "A shadow of your former self."
  • Melissa: "Stilted?"
  • Lissa: "Bigger than Life."
  • Andrea: "Ho Ho Ho...Green Giant" (I loved that commercial as a child!)
  • Sister AE: "Walking tall."
  • Salubrina: "Human sundial."
  • Sara: "Stretch of the imagination."
  • Judy: "Do these pants make me look taller?"
Christy takes it with the lovely play on words, "Sanding on the Shoulders of Giants." I can almost hear the music playing as I read it! She paints, she writes and she shoots - incredibly well. Please visit her blog to congratulate her. Thanks, everyone, for playing along this week. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for this one. Enjoy!

37 comments:

kenju said...

Thanks for the menschun, Carmi. I like your new toaster.


My caption:

"A watched toaster never pops."

Mystic Thistle said...

Oh my goodness. I started to blush when I saw my name and then even more when you said something nice. Thank-you, I feel like a got a present today! Your blog is so very fun, Carmi.

"Strange Encounters of the Toast Kind"

"5-4-3-2-1... Toast off!"

Carli N. Wendell said...

Bread from anticipation.

Mystic Thistle said...

"Toast Whisperer."

Gordon said...

"To Toast or not to toast, that is the question. Is it nobler in the mind to suffer a lack of toast or to take 2 slices and toast!"

Anonymous said...

Pyromaniac junior hope for the best.

Anonymous said...

Hi Carmi,

"If I stick a fork in it, will it be done?"

"There was silence and anticipation at the wedding reception while everyone waited to hear the toast."

Bradley

b13 said...

"...and in that instant, the robot's eye's glowed blue... and we knew that the robot uprising had begun!"

sage said...

"I wonder how long will it take to dry my gloves?"

sealaura said...

Here's mine "quiero mi eggo"

Anonymous said...

I've got nothin on this one yet, but I may be back later in the week. Thanks for the menschen on the last one.

I will say that I get a giggle thinking about toasters. My mom has one with a super-strong spring. It launches the toast out of the slots and if you get a small English muffin in it just right, it will launch it all the way out onto the counter!

Jacie said...

'It's life Jim - but not as we know it...'

sorry just felt it had a Star Trek feel to it!

Anne said...

It was shinier in the store.

Mojo said...

"And no trying to burn the house down, you got that? I'm watching you!"

Anonymous said...

"...round and round the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel..."

"I'm not gonna jump, I'm not gonna jump!"

Nestor Family said...

I am so glad that your family was okay and that no further damage was done to your house!

Here's my caption attempt... not too original... cue the music from the 70's (???) Heinz catsup commercial:

"An-tiss-a-pation... an-tiss-a-pa-a-tion..."

Anonymous said...

"You are SO toasted."

My offering is weak this week. Can I vote for Christy's instead?

Anonymous said...

Also, I'm having toaster envy...ours is a $10 white thing that won't hold a real bagel (criminal, no?) And I really don't like it.

Stacy Birk said...

"Have you ever met my dad, you know... the inventor of Toaster Struedels"

I hope you have seen the movie Mean Girls so this makes sense, haha.

Meeta Banerjee said...

Ah it's not my best but

Good things come to those who toast.


...glad to hear that you guys are okay after the toaster oven madness.

:)

Barbara said...

I've been watching toasters all my life ---- and they still make me jump when the toast pops up and I feel my heart sputter! So, here's my contribution: "POP! --- Clear!"

But I really like Pinky's best!

Adventure girl said...

I missed last weeks somehow???
Gosh that is so scary about the toaster oven;(

I am not good at all at giving pics a cute little name. Sorry. But I am glad he loves his new toaster and hope continues to feel better.

And thank you for the nicest bloggy comments on my blog. I swear, you are the best comment giver! Have a great Monday!

ChezChani said...

A Toast! To Breakfast!

I am a Tornado ~ proven fact! said...

Hmm, toaster you say.
Only bread and bagels?
We'll see about that.

Anonymous said...

My caption:

" and I thought the computer was slow!"

lissa said...

Thanks for the menschen!! Honored as always!

This week's comes with, I'm sure, a huge sigh of relief for the scare being over and the new appliance doing its job dangerlessly.

Captions:

"What's THIS button do?"

"Can't we microwave the toast instead?"

Mantha said...

mmm, mmm, mmm, mmm, mmm, toasty!

somewhere in there is a pop tart with my name on it.

an-toast-ipation

**thankx for the honorable menschun. have a fabulous week!

Malinda777 said...

"DAD! The toaster has EYES!"

MorahMommy said...

It's not on fire?! :-)

That was a scary one!!! I can still smell the smoke every time I open the cupboard!

Anne said...

Hey Dad! No smoke yet!

Anonymous said...

Hello Carmi,
"After having put all of his bread into the small appliance market, Dougie was dismayed to find that his investments were toast!"
Bradley

Dianne - Bunny Trails said...

Just for grins, here's another toasting option. You know, for when you have NO idea where the toaster is, because someone else packed it.

Seriously - I'm glad you all are okay and your house intact. I'd love to comment, but am at a loss. There are so many fab comments already. Great shot. Love the composition. I'd like to have that toaster, too.

YellowRose said...

My Caption:

Oh sure dad says it's a toaster...But it's really a Transformer so I'm going to sit here till I see it Transform!

David Edward said...

"um, nearly automatic, four slices at a time, I know there is unmoldy bread nearby, but no one to butter it for me, I guess I will eat some Cheetos"

Vanessa said...

pop prep

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

Bre(a)d to be toasted, the "wurst" is yet to come!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hello Carmi!
Thank you for the mention!
I think Bradley had enough fun with this one for the both of us.
Terri