Sunday, October 19, 2008

Caption This 93


Please caption this image
[Click here for ins
tructions on how Caption This works]
London, ON, March 2007 [Click to enlarge]

About this photo: This week's Thematic Photographic theme is blur. Please click here if you haven't yet submitted yours. We're accepting submissions for this theme until next Wednesday.
A funny thing happens in winter when there's little to no snow on the ground: everything feels colder. I discovered this as I waited for our kids' evening program to end at the community centre nearby. Standing on the sidewalk beside an arterial road with a tripod-mounted camera shooting long exposures of passing traffic, I did everything I could to not ruin every shot with my shivering.

That was when I wasn't smiling at passing motorists and pedestrians, vainly trying to convince them that I wasn't insane. Appearances aside, I need to spend more time shooting traffic scenes at night. They have a dreamy, ghostlike quality that reminds me of photography's ability to see things the naked eye cannot. I find that strangely fascinating, and hope you do, too.

Your turn: I need your help coming up with a creative caption for this photo. What would you name it? How does it make you feel? Suggest as many as you wish by clicking on the Comment link below. We'll be taking submissions until next Sunday. If you're new to Caption This and need a primer on how it works, click here.

About last week's photo of a fallen leaf: For reasons I can't quite explain, I love sad, evocative photos. Based on your collectively great submissions this week, you are, too! Honorable menschens go to:
  • Terri: "All the leaves are brown and the sky is grey..." (I love that tune!)
  • Lissa: "Leaf me alone."
  • Linda: "Leave me alone." (amazingly, Lissa's and Linda's entries were submitted one minute apart from each other. You know what they say about great minds...)
  • Sealaura: "I've fallen and I can't get up!" (Because we all love laughing at infomercials.)
  • Lara: "Summer move forward and stitch me the fabric of fall..." (Cool trend this week to quote song lyrics!)
  • The late, lamented Harold Ballard: "In the fall the Leafs hit the road. They will have no better luck than they do at their home games." (Ontarians understand this. Please leave a comment if you'd like more Maple Leafs background.)
  • Judy: "If I have to fall, I'm going out in a blaze of color!"
  • Robin: "Only the great will fall."
  • Heidi: "Transformation."
  • Moi: "There is Death in the air."
  • Anne: "Fell."
Linda's "Fallen beauty" struck a particular nerve this week. It's hard to articulate how images like this make me feel, but her caption came close. If you haven't visited Linda's site, you owe it to yourself to do so (click here). Please say hi when you do!

27 comments:

Linda said...

Aw...gee, *blushes*, thanks, Carmi! I love how your photos evoke so many feelings. When I saw that, I knew that it was beautiful...and it's a fall picture...and that beauty had fallen...all a play on words, I suppose. The stark pavement in contrast to the amazing color of that leaf...well, you got it!

And for this week?

I got nothin! I'll think upon it some....

Nestor Family said...

Moving at the Speed of LIFE

Again, another cool photo, Carmi. The movement of the long exposure makes this very special.

Nestor Family said...

Oh... and thanks for the honorable menschens on last week!

sage said...

"Running too fast!" I posted a "blurry" shot today--another river reflection.

awareness said...

Life in the fast lane....

Blurred remnants

Cars on drugs

Slurry blurriness.... (the photo actually reminds me of a MADD commercial/ad).

Barbara said...

I see this and think of what photography truly is: capturing a moment in time. In this case, with the time lapse, the streaks of light seem to show the movement of time. I call it:

The River of Time

Em said...

Going nowhere fast.

Love the photo...but my caption isn't that creative. LOL

Omykiss said...

Thanks for visting my bog, carmi.

My caption:
Traveller's trails
or maybe
Traveller's tales (or tails)

Mystic Thistle said...

"While I stand still..."

"Trail Gating"

"Time Machine"

Mystic Thistle said...

Love this photograph by the way. One more...

"Trail Tales"

Mystic Thistle said...

Whoa. I promise I didn't see how similar that was to the one just above! Wow.

PastormacsAnn said...

Wow Carmi! What a terrific photo! Love long exposure effects.

caption ideas: "Traveling at Light Speed."

and

"Life went by me like a blur."

Beth@Pages of Our Life said...

Wow! I am looking forward to learning from you. I have enjoyed your posts and pics.

Thanks, for the "shout" and photo encouragement!

I am a newbie photographer that has jumped in with both feet fast.

craziequeen said...

'So, sir, did you get the registration plate?'

I'm back :-)

cq

Anonymous said...

one word dude- TRON !

Anonymous said...

Hello Carmi,
"Do you wanna go faster?"
"I can't hear you! Do you wanna go faster?!"
It's like a ride at the fair.
Bradley
P.S "TRON" was a caption from me.

Unknown said...

Don't blink.

Did you see that neon green cadillac? How could you miss it?!

*Deep breath* - What was THAT?

Treehugger said...

I liked "Traveling at Light Speed" (already offered). Maybe "Time Travelling". Or, "...as life speeds by"....or, "blink".

Great photo! very thought-provoking, as yours so often are. :)

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

i would love to do shots like this...i have never tried something like this before........thank you for the honorable menschen honor :DDD

As for captions:
I loved all the "trail" captions here already..........so trying something different:

Thrill of the chase
Crosswired senses
Chaos in the midst of chaos
There's a method in the madness

Anonymous said...

The flames of Hell illuminate the souls of the newly dead as they race toward the underworld.

B.L. Zebub

Mantha said...

hey carmi!

"remember, it's the journey, not the destination."

"traveling light show ahead"

"bended light"

Sara said...

Lightning McQueen at it again

Sara said...

red light Speed

Sara said...

"ride sally ride"

Anne said...

Night Life

I think that third car has a missing tail light

vapor trails

hurrying

Anne said...

Oh, and what Heidi said, too, thanks for the menschun.

Barbara said...

I have a late contribution to "Caption This" this week. My brother Rick is visiting from Portland Oregon; he follows your blog, too, and mentioned these 2 captions. Thought I'd slip them in since he is offline right now:

"Tubeless neon"
"Who's turn is itn anyway?"

Fun stuff again this week, Carmi!