Please caption this image
[Click here for instructions on how Caption This works]
London, ON, March 2007 [Click to enlarge]
About this photo: This week's Thematic Photographic theme is blur. Please click here if you haven't yet submitted yours. We're accepting submissions for this theme until next Wednesday.A funny thing happens in winter when there's little to no snow on the ground: everything feels colder. I discovered this as I waited for our kids' evening program to end at the community centre nearby. Standing on the sidewalk beside an arterial road with a tripod-mounted camera shooting long exposures of passing traffic, I did everything I could to not ruin every shot with my shivering.
That was when I wasn't smiling at passing motorists and pedestrians, vainly trying to convince them that I wasn't insane. Appearances aside, I need to spend more time shooting traffic scenes at night. They have a dreamy, ghostlike quality that reminds me of photography's ability to see things the naked eye cannot. I find that strangely fascinating, and hope you do, too.
Your turn: I need your help coming up with a creative caption for this photo. What would you name it? How does it make you feel? Suggest as many as you wish by clicking on the Comment link below. We'll be taking submissions until next Sunday. If you're new to Caption This and need a primer on how it works, click here.
About last week's photo of a fallen leaf: For reasons I can't quite explain, I love sad, evocative photos. Based on your collectively great submissions this week, you are, too! Honorable menschens go to:
- Terri: "All the leaves are brown and the sky is grey..." (I love that tune!)
- Lissa: "Leaf me alone."
- Linda: "Leave me alone." (amazingly, Lissa's and Linda's entries were submitted one minute apart from each other. You know what they say about great minds...)
- Sealaura: "I've fallen and I can't get up!" (Because we all love laughing at infomercials.)
- Lara: "Summer move forward and stitch me the fabric of fall..." (Cool trend this week to quote song lyrics!)
- The late, lamented Harold Ballard: "In the fall the Leafs hit the road. They will have no better luck than they do at their home games." (Ontarians understand this. Please leave a comment if you'd like more Maple Leafs background.)
- Judy: "If I have to fall, I'm going out in a blaze of color!"
- Robin: "Only the great will fall."
- Heidi: "Transformation."
- Moi: "There is Death in the air."
- Anne: "Fell."